NBN HFC Drop outs

SOLVED Go to solution
stevemartin87
Level 3

So I ended up resetting the NBN box on the 15th or 16th after more drop outs. But alas this doesn't really appear to have made any difference.

Drop out log:
15/3 7am duration 3min
15/3 12:30pm duration 6min

15/3 4:20pm duration 3min

15/3 4:40pm duration 25min
15/3 6pm duration 1min

15/3 11:23pm duration 2min

16/3 4:45pm duration < 1min

16/3 11:00 pm duration 5min
17/3 12:10am duration 23min

17/3 3:29 am duration < 1min
17/3 11:28am duration 12min
18/3 10:07am  duration 5min
18/3 10:18am duration <1min
18/3 11:11am duration  <1min

18/3 11:59am duration 4min
18/3 12:13pm duration <1min
19/3 11:18pm duration 6min

Will

Hi @stevemartin87

Thank you for getting back to us with additional information.

Those records you posted matches the dropouts I'm seeing on your usage history. Furthermore, comparing the NBN diagnostic tests I had previously and today's result, it showed that the NBN box was actually losing the connection itself. This will need to be raised to NBNCo.

I have escalated this to our Engineering Team for investigation. Updates pertaining to the case will be provided by our Engineers via SMS or phone call.

If you have other concerns, please let us know.

Regards,

stevemartin87
Level 3

So this was escalated but nothing was found. Nor did my connection drop in those two days.

Had a pretty good run almost 4 days without the connection being down but went down again today. Will continue to monitor and call see what case manager has to say when she calls tomorrow.

Going through the threads doesn't seem like I am alone.

24/03 12:28 Duration 6min

Will

Hi @stevemartin87

Based on the test I performed, your record matches a dropout on the NBN box.

I can see that your Case Engineer rejected NBNCo's resolution citing that it's a recurring issue. From what I can tell, it seems like NBNCo has agreed to send a technician out to check this further. We're currently waiting for a confirmed NBN technician appointment.

Our Engineering Team will notify you via SMS regarding the appointment once it's booked. Should there be any changes as well, they will let you know.

Feel free to communicate with us if you need anything that will help with this case or for other concerns.

Regards,

stevemartin87
Level 3

Thanks Will. My Case manager decided to let me know (before she said a tech was coming out) that 1-3 dropouts per day is acceptable from NBN Co.

Is that a joke? At the upper end, that means 3 x 24min dropouts? So it's perfectly acceptable for my HFC NBN to be down for 1hr per day.?

I understand that keeping a connection up for > 24hrs is hard. But I expect a <1min resync time. If this happened once a day I'd have no drama. But when It goes down repeatedly for 5-10 minutes in one afternoon. I might as well go back to my 4G connection because waiting 10min to restart what you are doing and then it happens an hour later is just unacceptable. I am continuing to document it here as my first inquiries seemed to disappear into the ether after it was up for > 10hrs.

I am mostly irritated as it was made out to sound like we are helping you by trying to solve this, where there is obviously a legitimate issue. I just want internet that doesn't stop working all the time. But obviously that is too much to ask. 

Shane

Hi @stevemartin87,

We apologise for the inconvenience and understand you feel that your connection issue is taking far too long to resolve. Based on the latest log on the fault handled by our Engineering Team, we have booked an NBN Technician scheduled today, Tuesday, 26 March 2019, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM.

We'll keep an eye on this case and pass this on to the assigned Engineer handling this case for additional reference. Further updates will be provided via SMS or Phone call.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

stevemartin87
Level 3

After almost a month it appears we have a resolution.

NBNCo tech inspected line and informed us that the signal strength was too high. They attenuated the line & replaced all the connectors and the connection has now been up for almost 4 days with no issues at all. Will continue to monitor but looks like: there was an issue with the line; and that it has now been fixed.

Not a smooth process but looks like we got there in the end. Pretty disappointed in the level of service over all but it is resolved so I will stop complaining.

Steve