TPG Community

Get online support

NBN drops out when TV turned on

Bevansmom
Level 2
I work from home using my companies VPN to take calls. I notice whenever I am actually on a call and my Samsung smart TV is turned on my connection drops out. If I'm not on a call, just connected, it doesn't drop out. I moved 2 months ago and this has only been happening at this new place. No issue at my old address, only a km away. Could it be because my modem is too close to the TV? Or what could the issue be?
7 REPLIES 7
Shane

Hi @Bevansmom,

Welcome to the community!

Please correct me if I am wrong from what I understand the Smart TV's connection to the Wi-Fi disconnects whenever you receive a call via VPN.

Where do you receive or what device(s) is used in taking VPN calls?

Does other device(s) affected with the dropouts when you answer VPN calls?

I'd like to check the status of your service. Please PM me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Bevansmom
Level 2
Hey Shane
Thank you for your reply.
So no it's my connection on my laptop that drops out.
It's just odd that it will only do it while I am on a call.
I am wondering if it's because the modem is too close to the TV as I've didn't have the problem at my previous address and the modem was further away.
I did call TPG support and they did something but it's still happening unfortunately.

Leanne
Shane

Hi @Bevansmom,

Thanks for sending me your details. We ran an initial test to the service it shows no line issue. For us to identify what causing your Smart TV's disconnection we'd like to know what device is used for VPN calls. 

Cheers!

Bevansmom
Level 2
Hi Shane
Just to confirm my TV doesn't disconnect from the net.
I am accessing my works VPN using a Toshiba laptop.
Please let me know if further information is required.
Leanne
Shane

Hi @Bevansmom,

Thanks for the details.

• How is the laptop connected to the internet? LAN/Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
  • How is the Smart TV connected to the internet? LAN/Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
  • Does other device(s) like smartphone is also getting the same issue?

Cheers!

Bevansmom
Level 2
The laptop is connected by cable.
The TV connected by Wifi
I don't know about smartphone as have not checked
Shane

Hi @Bevansmom,

Thanks for the confirmation. This issue seems to be weird because the connection of your laptop should not be affected by Wireless Interference of the Smart TV. We ran a series of test to the service it shows no network issue causing this dropout.

Unfortunately we do not have troubleshooting information related to the Smart TV troubleshooting and to the VPN service that may help to this issue. We recommend to contact to the VPN support to get details or to identify what is causing dropouts with your Laptop since it only occur when the VPN call is being used on the laptop. 

In the event that their investigation result shows, that it is a Wireless Interference causing the laptop to drop out we did an article that you may find helpful.

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

Note: This article will only affect the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!