TPG Community

Get online support

Network halts when uploading

SOLVED Go to solution
palerider
Level 2

Hello everyone I'm currently using ADSL2+ broadband. When I'm uploading (e.g. upload video to Youtube, upload using FTP via FileZilla), the whole network becomes extremely slow. I can't even open a web page (often get a Time-out error on the console). It was fine to me but recently I need to be able to download and upload simultaneously. Is someone also experiencing the same issue and is it possible to do some configuration from user side to solve this issue? Thanks you all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ozone
Level 3

Web browsing involves downloading from and uploading data to a website.

For every data (text, graphics) that gets downloaded, your web browser uploads an acknowledgement message back to the website that the data was received. The website will only send more data if it receives this acknowledgement that you received the previous data.

So if you're uploading to YouTube at full speed, then your web browsing freezes since your browser could no longer upload the acknowledgement messages.

First, do a speed test to find out what your upload speed is. Typical ADSL2+ upload speed is 0.85 Mbps.

Then, you can configure the upload speed limit for your chosen application.

Unfortunately, there is no way to control upload speed from within YouTube itself. You may have to download a traffic shaping program. FileZilla, on the other hand, has settings that you can change.

So let's try to limit FileZilla's upload speed limit to 80% of your upload speed. 80% of 0.85 Mbps is 0.68 Mbps.

Conversion:

0.68 Mbps = 85 KB/s = 83 KiB/s

To set the Upload speed limit for FTP file transfers in FileZilla, follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Click Edit > Settings.
Step 2: In the Settings, select Transfers under Select Page.
Step 3: Under Speed limits, click on the check box to Enable speed limits.
Step 4: Enter the Upload limit and click OK.

You may have to try out different upload limits (ranging from 40% to 80%) to get the 'right balance' between FTP uploads and web browsing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ozone
Level 3

Web browsing involves downloading from and uploading data to a website.

For every data (text, graphics) that gets downloaded, your web browser uploads an acknowledgement message back to the website that the data was received. The website will only send more data if it receives this acknowledgement that you received the previous data.

So if you're uploading to YouTube at full speed, then your web browsing freezes since your browser could no longer upload the acknowledgement messages.

First, do a speed test to find out what your upload speed is. Typical ADSL2+ upload speed is 0.85 Mbps.

Then, you can configure the upload speed limit for your chosen application.

Unfortunately, there is no way to control upload speed from within YouTube itself. You may have to download a traffic shaping program. FileZilla, on the other hand, has settings that you can change.

So let's try to limit FileZilla's upload speed limit to 80% of your upload speed. 80% of 0.85 Mbps is 0.68 Mbps.

Conversion:

0.68 Mbps = 85 KB/s = 83 KiB/s

To set the Upload speed limit for FTP file transfers in FileZilla, follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Click Edit > Settings.
Step 2: In the Settings, select Transfers under Select Page.
Step 3: Under Speed limits, click on the check box to Enable speed limits.
Step 4: Enter the Upload limit and click OK.

You may have to try out different upload limits (ranging from 40% to 80%) to get the 'right balance' between FTP uploads and web browsing.

palerider
Level 2

Thanks so much for your instruction. Yes my upload speed is around 0.85 Mbps, and as far as I know this kind of problem only happens on tpg users. When I was uploading all devices (smartphones&tablets) connected to the WLAN were "freezing". I think the ISP may throttle the bandwidth but not sure. May need to consider changing the ISP as I need to download&upload.

JovenA

@palerider wrote:

Yes my upload speed is around 0.85 Mbps, and as far as I know this kind of problem only happens on tpg users. When I was uploading all devices (smartphones&tablets) connected to the WLAN were "freezing". I think the ISP may throttle the bandwidth but not sure.

Please be advise that TPG doesn't throttle upload bandwidth. Do you experience the same issue if you use ethernet connection only?