TPG Community

Get online support

Routing to AWS EC2 instances in SEA (Singapore) from Melbourne - something wrong

SOLVED Go to solution
Shane

Hi @theexecutioner,

Regrettably, I wish I was the bearer of better news. I don’t have any further updates differing from what has already been communicated to you. We will treat this a complaint and raise this to one of our Complaints Resolution Case Manager for further handling and investigation.

Assessment from our Complaints Resolution Team may take 24-48hrs and you will be contacted via email or phone call using the details we have on file.

Cheers!

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @theexecutioner What you maybe experiencing is some border routing to increase redundancy in the event of a main bearer failure, try getting a fibre splicing crew on Easter long weekend.

Considering it's a long weekend in a large part of the world, that's probably a good thing, whilst it may increase latency in some cases it also greatly enhances fail over paths if required for all users. It's a feature not a fault as they say.

legcat
Level 4

Just curious as there's two private IP address in the first two hops in TPG routing..

Is it double NAT?

theexecutioner
Level 4

@orbistat wrote:

Hi @theexecutioner What you maybe experiencing is some border routing to increase redundancy in the event of a main bearer failure, try getting a fibre splicing crew on Easter long weekend.

Considering it's a long weekend in a large part of the world, that's probably a good thing, whilst it may increase latency in some cases it also greatly enhances fail over paths if required for all users. It's a feature not a fault as they say.

Possible, although I have to wonder why it's lasted so long - and also why other networks aren't experiencing the same thing... this is not a routing issue that's been present in the past ...

I have to think that there is a fault in the route (manually introduced or equipment related - I don't know)...

There are 3 cables between Perth and Sing - right now routes to that address aren't even getting to them at all ...

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

theexecutioner
Level 4

@legcat wrote:

Just curious as there's two private IP address in the first two hops in TPG routing..

Is it double NAT?

Correct.

Devices on my internal network connect via a wifi switch wired into a roll-your-own Sophos Universal Threat Management (UTM) box (192.168.0.x) which provides DHCP and other services to wifi devices connecting to the LAN.

The UTM is wired to the TPG supplied modem/router (which has wifi disabled), which issues an IP address on 192.168.1.x (just for the UTM)... this is what you see in the first and second hop.

This way all devices connecting to the LAN are forced through the protection of the UTM...

fwiw, for anyone game, the Sophos UTM is a great free protection solution for home users.. all you need is a basic PC with x2 network cards and maybe 8gig memory or so ... it provides a maximum of 50 concurrent devices (which for me is plenty) and excellent controls over the network... (I'm not affiliated at all, but I've used this for years and I probably owe them a little free advertisement ... Smiley Wink lol).

reedyrop
Level 2

I think this must be why PUBG is autoconnecting to the NA servers in the last few weeks - the ping is actually lower than to SEA or Asian servers because those are being routed through Los Angeles first. Its the same in all games. TPG - pls fix or i'll have to switch ISP Smiley Happy

I'm in Melbourne BTW

Shane

Hi @reedyrop

Welcome to the community!

If you’re in Melbourne, Australia, but playing on an American or Asian server, your latency will be higher because the geographical distance creates a delay between information being sent from an Australian client-side (player’s) connection before it’s received and relayed from the American server.

Connecting or Playing to a Game server not designated to your area will affect a high latency issue particularly if the Game Developer itself made a specific Server in every location such as SEA / NA Servers etc. If you're having latency issue while playing/connected to the Australian Server please post a screen shot of the latency issue and we'll have it check.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

reedyrop
Level 2

Perhaps you didnt read my post. PUBG used to connect to SEA and Asian servers all the time with much lower ping. But in the last few weeks it connects to North America with a ping of around 250. Also I've noticed that my friends who play Hunt: Showdown on the Asian server are getting much better ping than me. Can you look into it. I think its what the OP is saying - traffic to Asia is being routed through Los Angeles. There's posts on Whirlpool about this too. Please fix.

Regards

Shane

The latest update on the OP's escalated issue. We've seen that all the action that was taken to have the issue fixed. Our Engineers concluded their investigation of escalated issue. TPG on-site and remote testing has shown that all the equipment within TPG's network is working and the current level of service is the best that can be delivered on the current infrastructure.

On the other hand, the latency issue you currently experience is an isolated case. We tried to use your community details to pull up the account unfortunately it does not show any matching records on file.

To better understand the situation, PM us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the complete address on file).

In case you need a reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Perhaps you didnt read my post. PUBG used to connect to SEA and Asian servers all the time with much lower ping. But in the last few weeks it connects to North America with a ping of around 250. Also I've noticed that my friends who play Hunt: Showdown on the Asian server are getting much better ping than me. Can you look into it. I think its what the OP is saying - traffic to Asia is being routed through Los Angeles. There's posts on Whirlpool about this too. Please fix.

Regards

theexecutioner
Level 4

@reedyrop wrote:

I think this must be why PUBG is autoconnecting to the NA servers in the last few weeks - the ping is actually lower than to SEA or Asian servers because those are being routed through Los Angeles first. Its the same in all games. TPG - pls fix or i'll have to switch ISP Smiley Happy

I'm in Melbourne BTW

Yes, I agree; this is the game I started noticing problems with. The server PUBG is using right now to match make has changed, and is being correctly routed (for me) but the original server is still buggered... going through NA...