TPG Community

Get online support

The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop3.tpg.com.au responded:

drbob
Level 6

Hi Moderators,

For the past hour I have been experiencing problems reading emails either using Mozilla Thunderbird or directly on the tpg web-site on post-office:

The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop3.tpg.com.au responded: [SYS/PERM] Could not read message file

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Robert

3 REPLIES 3
drbob
Level 6

I have fixed this by opening a connection to pop3.tpg.com.au at port 110 using telnet then manually deleting all listed messages by the "list" command:

telnet pop3.tpg.com.au 110

user <username>

pass <userpassword>

list

dele 1

dele 2

quit

Once all messages had been deleted, new emails sent to my tpg email address were received correctly by the email client.

cods69
Level 2

Same problem here, but the telnet fix is not working for me.

In the TPG mailbox, there's a blank mail sitting at the end that I can't delete, with no date, title or anything, other than having 1k of data.

cods69
Level 2

So after a bit of time it seems the telnet fix did work.  The mystery email has gone and things are going through ok now.

Weird thing is there is a bunch of spam I was going to empty, but there a message when selecting the folder "No uid in nested result from server - really needed for sorting results"

Obviously TPG has some mail issues to get cracking on...