TPG Community

Get online support

Use Telstra Smart Moden Gen 2 for TPG Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) service

debdamon
Level 2

Hi, Has anyone been able to configure and get working their TPG Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) service on an alternate modem such as the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, The TP Link Archer VR1600v AC1600 does not have very good WiFi coverage so looking for alternate. Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
PeterW

Hello debdamon,

Thank you for your message today and for being a part of the TPG Community.

You may need to perform a hard reset of your Telstra modem and ensure that Vlan = 2

Here is a link that may help.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Alternate-router-to-use-on-HFC/td-p/863

Be aware you will lose your VOIP connection as it is configured to your Archer VR1600, alternatively you could try a LAN to WAN configuration leaving your VOIP intact and allowing you to reinstate your previous WiFi network

Regards

PeterW

debdamon
Level 2

Thanks for the reply, I have performed a reset on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, however don't seem to have any option to set the VLAN ID to 2.

PeterW

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response, on further investigation these modems from Telstra cannot be used with another ISP connected by HFC as they do not have a VLAN option.

Are you intending to use this for your wifi network and do you have a TPG supplied modem?

If yes, you could try a LAN to WAN connection from your TPG router allowing the VOIP service from TPG to be used along with the WiFi and LAN Network from your Gen2 router.

Regards

PeterW

debdamon
Level 2

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply, yes i currently have the TPG supplied modem, how would i configure the LAN to WAN connection on the Telstra Smart modem ? Note: We do not use the VOIP function so that is no issue. Thanks Damon.

PeterW

Hi Damon,

Sorry for my last post which was a bit stupid, I should've re read your first message.

I have attached a link for to follow, it shows how to set up your TPG router as a Bridge enabling you to use you Telstra router for your WiFi.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-set-up-a-bridge-on-archer-vr1600v/m-p/1640...

Try that and see how you go, good luck.

Regards

PeterW