TPG Community

Get online support

jittery connection with two devices

Kazutsugu
Level 2

I have a 50mbps download plan which should be plenty for multiple streaming devices and gaming (although sometimes the internet goes to low numbers like 17 or 30mbps upload on speedtest.net, but I dont think thats much of a problem). Even when i have one device gaming and another device streaming youtube (720p/1080p), the device gaming runs into some lag (i.e. high ping spikes). What is causing this, and is there anything I can do that doesnt reduce the quality of the youtube experience and still be able to have consistent ping?

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Kazutsugu ,

Thanks for raising this to us. I am curious if those devices are both connected via Wi-Fi, if so it is possible that jitters you experienced is caused by Wireless Intereference. 

Here are some articles that you may find helpful. Please see the link below. 

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

Regards,

@Kazutsugu wrote:

I have a 50mbps download plan which should be plenty for multiple streaming devices and gaming (although sometimes the internet goes to low numbers like 17 or 30mbps upload on speedtest.net, but I dont think thats much of a problem). Even when i have one device gaming and another device streaming youtube (720p/1080p), the device gaming runs into some lag (i.e. high ping spikes). What is causing this, and is there anything I can do that doesnt reduce the quality of the youtube experience and still be able to have consistent ping?

Kazutsugu
Level 2

yup both devices are connected by wifi, but otherwise with one device gaming it is fine, and they are very close to the modem. It is just when it loads one youtube video, there's some jitters (and i mean like from 5 to 200 ping and sometimes 1000). I dont think these two devices wouldn't be enough to use up the bandwidth unless they might be uploading and downloading data with the whole bandwidth? (im not sure how bandwidth works). Alot of other people on 50mbps plans can use multiple devices while gaming with wifi

Shane

Hi @Kazutsugu ,

Thanks for sending me your details. I was able to locate the account using the given details and confirm that no line fault could affect the service, but I noticed that the modem/router has been connected to our network for a week now. I refreshed the connection remotely, I recommend to monitor the performance of the service. 

It depends on what devices are being used. In the event that its a game consol/laptop/desktop and a running background application is active like game updates for example. It could affect latency issue on the service particularly if the Game being downloaded is 50-150GB. 

If the issue persist, I suggest try to isolate one of the device to each other to see which device is using high bandwidth but if proven that its not a bandwidth usage issue.

It could also caused by Wireless Interference as I mentioned previously. 

Let me know how it will go.

@Kazutsugu wrote:

yup both devices are connected by wifi, but otherwise with one device gaming it is fine, and they are very close to the modem. It is just when it loads one youtube video, there's some jitters (and i mean like from 5 to 200 ping and sometimes 1000). I dont think these two devices wouldn't be enough to use up the bandwidth unless they might be uploading and downloading data with the whole bandwidth? (im not sure how bandwidth works). Alot of other people on 50mbps plans can use multiple devices while gaming with wifi