TPG Community

Get online support

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Delay porting your home phone number to TPG (due to Telstra COVID-19 impact)

Highlighted
Community Manager

What is home phone number porting?

Porting involves the transfer of your home phone number from one provider to another provider, so that your incoming and outgoing calls will work using your home phone number with your new provider.

TPG offers its customers the option to port their home phone numbers to us with all of our NBN Bundle and ADSL2+ with Home Phone orders. If customers choose not to port in a number, TPG will allocate a new home phone number.

Why is there a delay in number porting?

The telecommunications industry, including TPG, relies on Telstra to handle almost all porting transactions between providers.

Unfortunately, Telstra has advised that due to the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on its operations, Telstra is unable to process porting transactions until at least 6/4/20.

You can read more about it at https://www.itnews.com.au/news/telstra-suspends-most-landline-number-porting-539817.

What does this mean for TPG customers?

This means that at this stage, we are unable to port your home phone number from another provider to TPG.

If you have an order in progress for NBN Bundle, FTTB Home Bundle or ADSL2+ with Home Phone Bundle and the porting of your home phone number to TPG has not yet been completed:

• There is no change to our ability to deliver you the internet component of your Bundle service
  • Once the service is installed, you will be able to make outgoing calls
  • Once the service is installed, billing will commence
  • However, there will be a delay in us being able to port your home phone number to TPG until Telstra resumes porting activities. Until the porting of your home phone number to TPG is complete, you will not be able to receive incoming calls to your home phone number

If you are placing a new order for NBN Bundle, FTTB Home Bundle or ADSL2+ with Home Phone Bundle:

• There is no change to our ability to deliver you the internet component of your Bundle service
  • Once the service is installed, you will be able to make outgoing calls
  • Once the service is installed, billing will commence
  • However, there will be a delay in us being able to port your home phone number to TPG until Telstra resumes porting activities. Until the porting of your home phone number to TPG is complete, you will not be able to receive incoming calls to your home phone number

What options do customers have?

If you have an order in progress for NBN Bundle, FTTB Home Bundle or ADSL2+ with Home Phone Bundle and the porting of your home phone number to TPG has not yet been completed:

• TPG can provide you a new home phone number, instead of waiting for your home phone number to be ported to TPG. Please note if you select this option, you may lose the ability to get your home phone number number back later.
  • Or, you can choose to wait until Telstra resumes porting activities for your number porting to be completed

Due to the expected delays and the potential of losing the ability to receive incoming calls, we are recommend customers request a new phone number allocated by TPG.

If you are placing a new order for NBN Bundle, FTTB Home Bundle or ADSL2+ with Home Phone Bundle:

• Due to the expected porting delay which will result in a inability to receive incoming calls, we recommend you choose to receive a new number from TPG when placing your order
  • Or, if you choose to place an order and request to port your number to TPG, please expect to wait until Telstra resumes porting activities for your number porting to be completed

Other things to know

• The internet component of your NBN Bundle, FTTB Home Bundle or ADSL2+ with Home Phone Bundle will be delivered as planned and will continue to operate normally upon order completion
  • There’s no impact on mobile phone numbers which are processed via a separate, mostly automated system between mobile network operators.
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 1
Cancel my nbn installation as ou premises is temporarily closed
Highlighted
Level 3

Will there still be delay's if you aren't getting a homephone? I seem to be paying for a Home Phone Line as part of my package even thought I don't plan on using it...did i purchase the wrong package?

I am in the process of getting ADSL2+ but haven't heard anything else from TPG.

20/03/2020 - Signed up for TPG with payments for ADSL2+ Home bundle L @ $59.99/month c/w Setupfee + Modem Shipping charge + Home Phone Line Prepayment.

24/03/2020 - Modem Delivered.

30/03/2020 - No sign of Activation from TPG?

Highlighted
Level 2
We paid on March 6 and were being connected between 2-5 on march 13. We would lklike to keep our phone number
Highlighted
Level 1b

I wish to wait for my existing ph number to be ported by Telstra. Hopefully by 6/4/20.    Please keep me informed as to when it transfers.

07 38228821 

Highlighted
Level 1a
Happy to wait until porting is available
Highlighted

Hi @matthewhuynh94,

Welcome to the community! 

• Will there still be delay's if you aren't getting a homephone?

No, this should not affect the installation progress. 

• I seem to be paying for a Home Phone Line as part of my package even thought I don't plan on using it...did i purchase the wrong package?

It is better compare to have a Standalone Internet Service where you are require to have an active Telstra Phone Line.

We did an article that you may find helpful,  this will guide you on how to track your ADSL2+ service installation. How to track your TPG service installation

ADSL2+ installation approximately takes 10 working days but can take up to 20 working days in some cases. Your billing cycle for ADSL2+ Home Bundle will begin as soon as ADSL2+ has been installed.

In this particular case, we've seen that the installation is still ongoing and our Provisioning Team is awaiting for Telstra update, you'll receive an SMS/Phone call or Email once update becomes available.  

Should you need further assistance, feel free to search community for help or chat with us at https://www.tpg.com.au/support/contact/  and we'd be glad to assist you.

Regards, 

Highlighted

Hi @siviours ,

You will receive an SMS from us once Porting of your Home phone is completed.

@siviours wrote:

I wish to wait for my existing ph number to be ported by Telstra. Hopefully by 6/4/20.    Please keep me informed as to when it transfers.

07 38228821 

Highlighted

Hi @Pittplumb,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We have coordinated your concern to our Provisioning Team and we can see that the case manager has been in touch. As discussed, your NBN application has been put on hold and once your address is ready to be connected to TPG NBN, just let us know so we can progress your order.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to search community for help or chat with us at https://www.tpg.com.au/support/contact/  and we'd be glad to assist you.

Highlighted
Level 1d

I have nbn bundle M installed on Mar 19.  But my home phone so far could not receive incoming calls.

I suppose the 6/4/20 in your announcement means the 6 April 2020.  Can TPG confirm it?

I can wait for some more days in April.  

But I don't want to wait till the 4 June 2020 for the porting is done.  It is suggested not to terminate the service from previous provider till the porting is done.   I suppose this means I will have to keep paying my previous provider till the porting is done.  Is my understanding correct? I will have to consider other options if this is the case. 

Thank you.