TPG Community

Get online support

Using Voip on third-party modems

spock8989
Level 2

I have just bought a new modem I got in contact with my provider which is TPG to set it up so I can connect to the Internet but the person a technical support could not get it to work and informed me that I should use it as a range extender but I didn't want to do that so I did some research and I got it to connect to my TPG Internet account without any problems what I need to do now is to set up my VoIP so I can use my phone but I've since found out the TPG locks there VoIP particles in their provided modems so you can't touch it in other words if you want to upgrade to a new modem you have to buy one of theirs because they will not support as they call it a third-party modem and I think this is very wrong what happens if you want to bring one of your own modems when you sign up with them to me that tells me you can use the Internet but there VoIP protocols are only allocated to their modems and their modems only that in my honest opinion is very wrong. Because of this I'm starting to think about shopping around and looking for another provider that doesn't force me into using their modems because my current Internet provider is blocked there VoIP protocols. I don't really want to do this because I have been with TPG for a very long time and there has to be some way for me to use VoIP on my new modem.Because there will only support their modems and no third-party modems for VoIP I have made an official complaint to the Accc in regards to this because it is not fair that we have been forced into using their modems so what that means that if there modem completely dies on you and you want to continue using their services then you have to buy one of their modems from them because they will not support third-party modems for VoIP at all because they say they on the rights to the software and the lock that part of the software in the modem out so you cannot use it at all. So that means you buy a new modem from them at full price will go on another contract and get the new one for just postage and handling.

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @spock8989,

Welcome to the community.

We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle, the Home Phone component of the bundle is encrypted for security purposes. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls. We're sad to know that you're considering to cancel the service because of this.

We tried to use your community details to pull up the account, but no matching records found, please shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) and we will raise this to one of our Complaints Resolution Case Manager for handling and assessment.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

spock8989
Level 2

Hi Jericho this is Anthony Riley I tried to ring you up yesterday which you at lunch that is what I got talked left a message for you to ring me but you did not may be you a bit busy I don't know. But it looks like for the time being I'll have to stay with TPG because at this stage of the cheapest for my Internet at the moment. I am not happy that I've been forced by TPG to use their modems if I want utilise Voip I think that it is wrong the reason for me getting a new modem as far as I'm concerned that the modem that I have which I got you guys is not very good at all especially when it comes to the Wi-Fi range when I can walk at my bedroom door are not living get anywhere near my kitchen and lose the the Wi-Fi signal that's not good and I have noticed a deterioration of this over the last six months I have a range extender for the Wi-Fi and it was working fine like a said the last six months that is deteriorated that is the reason why I got a new modem because I know that if I replace the modem through you guys I would have to pay full price or go on another contract because my current one is expired and what I've read on the modem that I've got it doesn't get very good reviews from people that telling me it's anywhere between a low to mid range modem I don't know how true this is the considering what's been happening I am inclined to believe that. You may ask me why I did not get in contact with anybody from TPG support well considering that I'm no longer under contract I assumed that I wouldn't get any technical support with the modem. I thank you and await your reply.

Shane

Hi @spock8989,

We'd love to raise this to the assigned Engineer or Case Manager handling this case however we need your details to locate the account.

Regards,

Hi Jericho this is Anthony Riley I tried to ring you up yesterday which you at lunch that is what I got talked left a message for you to ring me but you did not may be you a bit busy I don't know. But it looks like for the time being I'll have to stay with TPG because at this stage of the cheapest for my Internet at the moment. I am not happy that I've been forced by TPG to use their modems if I want utilise Voip I think that it is wrong the reason for me getting a new modem as far as I'm concerned that the modem that I have which I got you guys is not very good at all especially when it comes to the Wi-Fi range when I can walk at my bedroom door are not living get anywhere near my kitchen and lose the the Wi-Fi signal that's not good and I have noticed a deterioration of this over the last six months I have a range extender for the Wi-Fi and it was working fine like a said the last six months that is deteriorated that is the reason why I got a new modem because I know that if I replace the modem through you guys I would have to pay full price or go on another contract because my current one is expired and what I've read on the modem that I've got it doesn't get very good reviews from people that telling me it's anywhere between a low to mid range modem I don't know how true this is the considering what's been happening I am inclined to believe that. You may ask me why I did not get in contact with anybody from TPG support well considering that I'm no longer under contract I assumed that I wouldn't get any technical support with the modem. I thank you and await your reply.

spock8989
Level 2

Dear Anthony,

This is regarding the matter raised to TPG Customer Relations.

I am your Case Manager and here to help you as the main point of contact for resolving your complaint which I understand is about the TPG VOIP service.

While I understand you wish to use the TPG VOIP service using a third-party modem not provided by TPG it is just unfortunate that it is not possible as we do not provide sip server settings. The sip server settings are already preconfigured to the TPG modem which we are providing and this is also one of the reasons why all our NBN plans include a free modem.

Please do not hesitate to contact me via return email or on 02 9141 0039 if you have any queries. Your reference number for this complaint is 11051751.

Kind Regards,
Jericho Manahan | Customer Relations Case Manager | UserID: 13511
T 0291410039 | F 02 9850 0813
www.tpg.com.au

Email Queue: Customer Relations
TPG Telecom (ASX: TPG)

Shane

Hi @spock8989,

We're able to locate the account and raised this to the assigned Complaints Resolution Case Manager handling this case. We recommend to contact them directly via return email.

Regards,