TPG Community

Get online support

VoIP quality extremely poor

Hardym
Level 2

I have been using NBN for a month now. No problems with the Internet but VoIP is hopeless. After trialling 3 handsets - latest NBN ready and TPG sending a replacement modem, the quality is too poor to have a conversation. The voice volume decreases over time, there are crackles on the line and at times it sounds like the caller is under water. I have had endless contact with tech call centre which is also almost impossible to hear. When I divert the VoIP number to my mobile which bypasses the TPG cabling by communicating directly with the exchange there are no problems. This tells me that the problem is not the handset or modem but some problem with the HFC cable or cable connection from HFC to home. Now what???

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @Hardym ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, we're able to locate the account using your community details and we've seen that the issue affecting the quality of the VoIP is now being handled by our Engineering Team, they tried to contact you today but no avail.

Please shoot me a private message together with your best contact number and preferred time, we'll have them contact you to provide an update.

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Regards,

@Hardym wrote:

I have been using NBN for a month now. No problems with the Internet but VoIP is hopeless. After trialling 3 handsets - latest NBN ready and TPG sending a replacement modem, the quality is too poor to have a conversation. The voice volume decreases over time, there are crackles on the line and at times it sounds like the caller is under water. I have had endless contact with tech call centre which is also almost impossible to hear. When I divert the VoIP number to my mobile which bypasses the TPG cabling by communicating directly with the exchange there are no problems. This tells me that the problem is not the handset or modem but some problem with the HFC cable or cable connection from HFC to home. Now what???