TPG Community

Get online support

Do I need a new modem?

AliceC22
Level 2
I have an old modem huawei hg659 that has been replaced over the past 6 or so years. My wifi is now constantly dropping out, modem is disconnecting, not picking up wifi adaptors when I try and connect etc etc. I think I need a new one as I work from home and it's becoming very frustrating. I recently upgraded my speeds thinking that was the issue but it hasn't resolved these problems. Maybe the wifi signal isn't enough? I have no idea to be honest but would love a resolution, that doesn't involve hours on the phone troubleshooting.
1 REPLY 1
Riezl

Hi @AliceC22 ,

There are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

If the issue persists, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and further assist you. 

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community