TPG Community

Get online support

How to connect a new router

Nmsd2017
Level 2

Hi there,

I hope you can help me with this please. I have a NBN 100 (FTTH) connection and I'm struggling with wireless coverage throughout my house, especially in the far rooms. Which is expected given that I'm using the original modem from 2017 which is a NetCommWireless N300 Gigabit Router- NF12.

So I've bought a new router, a NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wifi Router (R6400v2). The rep at The Good Guys said I just need to plug in to the NBN box as I have FTTP and use the Nighthawk App from Netgear to configure through my phone. It doesn’t' t work...

Scanned the QR code on the router and the phone connects to the router but says there's no internet; I've tried doing it manually clicking on the PPPoE and inserted my TPG user name and password, and nothing again...  

It only works when I connect it by cable to the original modem from TPG, but then I'll have 2 wireless networks at home which is not what I want. 

I can't contact TPG for any support as they're not answering the phone. I suspect this should be something simple that a quick phone call should fix.

Does anyone know how to set it up? I'm at the point of returning the router to the store :-(

Thanks in advance for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
KarlB

Hi @ Nmsd2017,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I don't believe you will find any of the TPG Moderators on here will have any experience with the Netgear R6400v2. I would have thought it would have been pretty much plug and play. Plugging from your UNI-D port to the WAN port on the router.

I would say your best bet of getting your Netgear working would be contacting Netgear direct to go through the settings.

Thanks,

Karl

Nmsd2017
Level 2

Hi @KarlB ,

Thanks for your reply. 

I also thought it would be simple, but I'm not tech savvy at all. I'll try to get in contact with Netgear.

Am I right in connecting the router directly into the NBN box, without needing to have a modem? I was told that if you have a FTTP connection you don't need a modem, just a router will do.

Thanks!

KarlB

Hi @Nmsd2017,

You are correct you don’t need a modem for a FTTP service, only a router.

Yes plugging from your UNI-D port(Same port your TPG router was connected) to the WAN port on the router(Think it is the yellow port on your router).

Regards,

Karl

Nmsd2017
Level 2

Hi @KarlB ,

I've looked on Netgear's website support and they say if it doesn't connect automatically then my ISP might require one of the following different connection types:

• Static IP: An IP address that is provided by your ISP. A static IP address doesn’t change. If you don’t know your router’s static IP, contact your ISP.
  • PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet): This connection type requires an ISP-provided user name and password before you can access the Internet.

Which one is applicable for TPG and where can I find the information required?

Thanks!

KarlB

Hi @

Select PPPoE and enter your TPG username and password.

This link will help you recover your password if it has been forgotten.

https://cyberstore.tpg.com.au/forgot_password.php

Regards,

Karl

lachlanbailey
Level 2
Hi @Nmsd2017 @KarlB

Did this get resolved?

I just tried setting up the same router with PPPoE and my TPG credentials through the Netgear Nighthawk app and it didn’t work.

I’m not on my computer. I’ve attached a photo of what I am looking at.

Does TPG require a service name?

Perhaps the connection mode or idle timeout settings are wrong?

Thanks for your time,
Lachlan
lachlanbailey
Level 2
Just fixed it. If you could mark this as a solution I’d appreciate it.

Go to routerlogin.net

Navigate through: Advanced ; WPS Wizard ; Advanced Setup ; VLAN / Bridge Settings

Tick ‘Enable VLAN / Bridge Setup‘

Select ‘By VLAN tag group’

Select the existing VLAN tag group

Select ‘Edit’

Make the ‘VLAN ID’ = 2

Apply changes and wait for reboot.

Best of luck,