TPG Community

Get online support

Outgoing mail server issues while overseas

murrayjoss
Level 2

Thanks Wil,

The notification I got from Thunderbird when the problem on Sept 6 first appeared was  "The sender address was rejected by the server".   I can provide the history of emails exchanged with TPG trying to get me up and running if that would help,  but what would help me, and all other customers who happen to travel OS, is the steps to take to determine what changes we should make to Settings in such circumstances.

Typically, we (your customers) would check-in to a hotel (WiFi) or data direct to a 3G or 4G data network.   Can TPG provide a "Step 1, Step 2, ... etc.. guidance to overcome this problem.   Can I suggest a page somewhere on the TPG website for overseas traveller/users.   My situation is not unique.   I'm sure too many customers just accept something screwed up and then wait till they get home.  But there really should be some specific guidance ... please !

Thanks -  Murray

Will

Hi @murrayjoss,

You may want to check the suggestion provided by one of our Community members related to this issue: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/TPG-Community-Feedback/Can-t-send-emails-away-from-home/td-p/20957

Thank you though for your suggestion. We'll keep that in mind when we release troubleshooting articles.

murrayjoss
Level 2

Thanks Wil.

Ref " Some places block server port 25, If it's a TPG POP email you're using try outgoing port 587.

If it's a Gmail account, try outgoing port 465. Let us know how you go."

Mine is an IMAP account.  I also tried outgoing server port 993 - no success.

So are you saying it has to be guesswork ?  Isn't there a method or procedure to determine an acceptable port ?

Will

Hi @murrayjoss,

Common port numbers for SMTP are 25, 465 and 587. If I'm not mistaken, port 993 is for incoming mail server of IMAP.

As noted in the other thread, some ISPs may block port 25 or even the other mentioned ports, but you may want to try 587 first. In the event that you're still unable to send using our SMTP server, as a last resort, you may have to either use webmail/postoffice or use the outgoing server settings of the ISP that you're connected to at that time.

murrayjoss
Level 2

Thanks Wil,

Your info on common port numbers is vey useful and may be all that customers in my situation would need to get back up and running.  Thanks !

I couldn't find such info on the TPG website.  Maybe this could be put on the TPG site somewhere,  and also feed it into the Helpdesk crews ?

Murray

murrayjoss
Level 2

I just did a little searching and found this description probably provides a good summary.

www.sparkpost.com/blog/what-smtp-port/

-  may be a helpful thing to feed to customers ?

Will

You're welcome, @murrayjoss

We'll take note of your suggestion and raise it up for consideration.

murrayjoss
Level 2

My previous experience with sending email is shown above.  It all occurred while overseas and the discussion centered around that.  BUT ... my inability to send has happened again - but this time I am securely locked down in Melbourne Smiley Happy

On my laptop (Thunderbird) I get a 'possible scam' type pop up.  On my IPhone I get 'can't connect to outgoing server' type pop up.

I believe this has all come about following an attempted on-line credit card transacation in which there was a card validation hiccup. (From what I could understand, the hiccup was somehow related to my IP address but I don't know what they meant by this).

My previous experience in 2019 documented above also occurred following a botched attempt to make on-line credit card purchase.  Maybe this is more than coincidence ??

In any case,  **  HELP **  -  is this forum able to check/rectify any 'black mark' tag against my email account please ?  I've tried using alternative SMTP port numbers on both my IPhone and laptop Thunderbird  without success so I'm now convinced there is a block at TPG.     Hope you can help.

murrayjoss
Level 2

Quick update.  Suddenly ... its all working again  -    I dunno why   Smiley Frustrated