TPG Community

Get online support

Phone ports on TPLink VR1600 modem

John2125
Level 2

The TPLink VR1600 modem I have just had installed has two phone ports: Phone 1 and Phone 2.  The modem user guide says "Connect your telephone to the RJ11 ports on the back panel. Please note that you can
only connect to two ports (one to a Phone 1 and the other to a Phone 2) at most".  However, the TPG guide says "Connect your telephone handset to the Phone1 port on the back of your modem", with no mention of Phone 2 port.  Also the nbn installation technician said to use only one phone port.

This raises some questions.  What is the difference between Phone 1 and Phone 2 ports?  What is the purpose of Phone 2 port?  Can Phone 2 port be used instead of Phone 1 port?  Can both these phone ports be used simultaneously for phone connection?  How many phones can be connected to each of these phone ports (via double adaptors or in-house wired network)?

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @John2125,

The purpose of Phone 2 port is for a secondary handset that you wish to use and place far from the location of the modem/router. However the connected handset to Phone port 2 can only make an outgoing call and can be used when the Handset connected to Phone port 1 is not used.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

John2125
Level 2

Thanks, Shane, for your reply.

1.  Your reply leads to the unanswered last question in my initial inquiry: how many phones can be connected to each of these phone ports (via double adaptors or in-house wired network)?

2.  If calls cannot be received on Phone 2 port, what is involved to have a second phone line for both making and receiving calls with a different phone number, as I have had in the past (but not at present)?  In that situation there may be simultaneous calls on both lines.

Kind regards.

Shane

Hi @John2125,

1.  Your reply leads to the unanswered last question in my initial inquiry: how many phones can be connected to each of these phone ports (via double adaptors or in-house wired network)?

You may try to use a double-adapter but it may or it may not work.

2.  If calls cannot be received on Phone 2 port, what is involved to have a second phone line for both making and receiving calls with a different phone number, as I have had in the past (but not at present)?  In that situation there may be simultaneous calls on both lines.

I'd like to correct the initial information i posted above, I was able to confirmed with our Technical Team that the phone port 2 will not work due to the optimized firmware version embedded to our supplied modem/router.

Regards,

John2125
Level 2

I notice the TPLink VR1600v modem settings (pre-set by TPG) show the same phone number for incoming calls for both phone ports.  The number for outgoing calls for both ports is “Auto” (whatever that means).  Why is a phone number given for Phone 2 port if that port will not work?

Related is that the modem user guide, User Guide Dual Band Gigabit VoIP VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Archer VR1600v, in Chapter 5 VOIP describes a multitude of possible settings accessed via an Advanced>Telephony> link.  I can find no such link in my modem settings, as accessed via http://tplinkmodem.net or 192.168.1.1.  In fact the actual accessible modem settings vary considerably from those shown in the user guide.

Shane

Hi @John2125,

I understand that you wish to maximize the feature of the modem/router however as mentioned above, the phone port 2 will not work since it is optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings.

We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Regards,

John2125
Level 2

Why is a phone number pre-set by TPG for Phone 2 port in the TPLink VR1600v modem settings if that port will not work?

Kind regards.