TPG Community

Get online support

VX420 G2-v MAC address table

d1pitman
Level 2
I have a Lenovo laptop that connected once, and only once to my router.

I've cleaned up the Windows registry, uninstalled the wifi card, booted to 3 different O/S and each refuses to see the router.

Seems like a purge of the MAC address table is called for. A reset of the modem didn't seem to do it, and the method to perform one with the current firmware eludes me.

Yes, I can hotspot, I could even buy a USB Wifi dongle, but would prefer to do neither.

Would be grateful for any assistance.
3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Is this the only device affected or unable to connect/detect the Wi-Fi? It is possible that the laptop is Wi-Fi is not compatible with the modem/router's frequency.

Try to disable the Wi-Fi bandsteering.

Log in to the router. Select Wireless Settings (Advanced). Switch off Band Steering and you will be able to select and rename each band, we suggest to connect the laptop to 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network.

Let us know how it will go. 

I have a Lenovo laptop that connected once, and only once to my router. 

I've cleaned up the Windows registry, uninstalled the wifi card, booted to 3 different O/S and each refuses to see the router. 

Seems like a purge of the MAC address table is called for. A reset of the modem didn't seem to do it, and the method to perform one with the current firmware eludes me. 

Yes, I can hotspot, I could even buy a USB Wifi dongle, but would prefer to do neither. 

Would be grateful for any assistance.

d1pitman
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't tried disabling Band Steering as I'd previously set up multiple SSID's on different frequencies and that hadn't helped.

I tried it to confirm, unfortunately no effect.

Just in case...I hard reset the router again. No change.

Multiple devices have connected without difficulty in the 6 weeks I've had the router.

The problem PC did connect, once. It's my work laptop. It has sucessfully connected to dozens of wifi networks over time. The laptop wifi card doesn't support random MAC adressing, so that's out.

OK. I solved it.

I found a post on an Intel board which suggested some of their ac cards could have difficulty seeing WiFi 6/ax devices, preventing connection to the supported, older standard. Their driver packs failed, as did the Network Driver advisor.

Over to Lenovo, where i found a 2019 driver for my card, but not my laptop model. 

Download over the hotspot, install, reboot and we are up and running. WiFi card now sees 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, connects to both.

Cheers

Shane

Yay! We are glad to know that the connectivity of the laptop has been fixed. 

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't tried disabling Band Steering as I'd previously set up multiple SSID's on different frequencies and that hadn't helped.

I tried it to confirm, unfortunately no effect.

Just in case...I hard reset the router again. No change.

Multiple devices have connected without difficulty in the 6 weeks I've had the router.

The problem PC did connect, once. It's my work laptop. It has sucessfully connected to dozens of wifi networks over time. The laptop wifi card doesn't support random MAC adressing, so that's out.

OK. I solved it.

I found a post on an Intel board which suggested some of their ac cards could have difficulty seeing WiFi 6/ax devices, preventing connection to the supported, older standard. Their driver packs failed, as did the Network Driver advisor.

Over to Lenovo, where i found a 2019 driver for my card, but not my laptop model. 

Download over the hotspot, install, reboot and we are up and running. WiFi card now sees 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, connects to both.

Cheers