TPG Community

Get online support

best modem for NBN with landline support

harissiddiqui
Level 2

Hi,

I recently started working from home due to the coronavirus. I'm in my garage and oh boy is the Wi-Fi signal here tenuous - and I’m not even that far away from the modem! Basically, the generic TPG modem sucks. And while there a lot of shiny and expensive modems out there, I noted that they all don't have a landline port. Seriously, it's becoming the headphone jack now. Some people still want a high end modem AND landline. Anyway, what are the best NBN compatible modems with a landline port? I’m not too conversant with this subject and can't really seem to find anything that could be called an upgrade over the abysmal modem TPG provides. Any responses will be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
BryanR

Hi@harissiddiqui ,

The NBN FTTC service installed utilises a VDSL modem with VoIP phone ports.

Its a good idea to make sure no devices like filter or old phones are plugged into wall outlets / FTTC likes only one wall socket in use, the "B" cable line cord must also be used to connect the NBN NCD (white network connection device) to the wall socket.

When connecting via WiFi you could try using the 5G WiFi channel ( check on the bottom of the modem for SSID = Wifi name and Pin=password if in default mode)

Regards

Bryan

Level 1

harissiddiqui
Level 2

I probably should have mentioned this in my post. I am connected via the 5G Wi-Fi channel. If I use the normal one, the internet is completely unusable.

BryanR

Hi

Its a good idea to make sure no devices like filter or old phones are plugged into wall outlets / FTTC likes only one wall socket in use, the "B" cable line cord must also be used to connect the NBN NCD (white network connection device) to the wall socket.

Also if you unplug the phone and retest e.g. do a speedtest.tpg.com.au with only your device on the service what download & Upload do you get?

Regards

Bryan

harissiddiqui
Level 2

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your quick responses. Just so we're clear, I'm very happy with the internet speeds inside the house. It's when i come into the garage that it gets very week. I am using zoom with multiple participants in the conference call everyday which is why I need a modem with a long wi-fi range. The internet speed inside the house are fine. Also, I like having high-end products. While I am happy with the TPG modem as long as I'm using it in the house, I don't thing it's a stretch to say that it's on the low-end of the spectrum. I have a high-end gaming PC at home so I would really love to match its look with a high-end gaming modem. But that's trifling matter. The main thing is that internet speeds are great in the house but not good enough for my work when I'm in the garage. Just for reference, I can stream 1080p youtube in the garage but I often lag and cut off in my zoom conference calls. 

Brendanhogan2
Level 2

Hi harissiddiqui, did you get a response to your request for a new modem? If you did what model did you get?

I'm in the same boat and have had difficultly geting through to TPG support to request one. 

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

Brendan

harissiddiqui
Level 2
Nah. Haven't found one yet. I'm moving to a new house soon. It's a smaller one so hopefully I don't have that issue. And when my TPG contract expires, I'm switching to Telstra. But more expensive but I've talked to a mate who works for the NBN and it seems to be worth it
Shane

Hi @Brendanhogan2,

Welcome to the community! 

The modem we provide is a standard modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls

If you wish to purchase send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) together with your best contact number and preferred time.

In case you need a reference:How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers! 

Hi harissiddiqui, did you get a response to your request for a new modem? If you did what model did you get?

I'm in the same boat and have had difficultly geting through to TPG support to request one. 

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

Brendan