TPG Community

Get online support

limit internet bandwidth for individual users

icu99
Level 2

Hi I have an NBN modem at home which is a Archer VR1600V. Need to limit my son usage on what hours he can be online. He is currently connect via WiFi and I have tried to used the parential control but that seems to me is to block websites only and not limit time usage. Can anyone assist? Cheers.

5 REPLIES 5
JohnnyR
Level 3

Hi @icu99,

Setting time limit  is still under Parental Control option on your modem. Just need to   look for  "Internet access time" please see step 5 on the link below.

How to setup Parent Control on Archer Modem Router (new-designed blue UI)

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-1008.html

Hope this help you with your concern. Smiley Happy

icu99
Level 2

Hi JohnnyR,

Yes I've done that but he still has access to the internet. I alwaays taught that option can only blacklist the sites during specific times? I have manage to block his youtube access with that option.

Shane

Hi @icu99,

Archer VR1600V's Parental Control do not have the option to restrict a certain website on a specific time using 1 specific device.

Once you have added a Website on the Blacklist all devices connected via Wireless/Wired will not be able to access the listed site.

Perhaps, you can restrict the actual device. However, by doing this it will completely restrict the device for getting a connection.

See screenshot below:

Parental Control.png

Regards,

Hi JohnnyR,

Yes I've done that but he still has access to the internet. I alwaays taught that option can only blacklist the sites during specific times? I have manage to block his youtube access with that option.

JongR

@icu99 wrote:

...Need to limit my son usage on what hours he can be online. He is currently connect via WiFi and I have tried to used the parential control but that seems to me is to block websites only and not limit time usage. Can anyone assist? Cheers.

@icu99 wrote:

Hi JohnnyR,

Hi @icu99

You can still set the day and time period you want to control, but instead of using a Blacklist, use a Whitelist.

In Whitelist mode, the controlled devices can only access websites containing the specified keywords during the Effective Time period.

In your case, just enter one web address or one web address keyword to only allow.

This web address could be a site that you've set up yourself, or a non-existent site, or something that your son will never ever have even the slightest interest in visiting. Then, keep this web address confidential.

So you would have now created a perception that all of the internet is blocked on his device(s).

I believe that there are features available in the Archer VR1600v to totally restrict internet access to a device, but they lack a time period setting which would not be helpful in your specific situation.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
kitty
Level 2

Hi

I have followed your instruction to only allow some website to be used in my son's macbook by usimg whitelist. It seems some working ( eg school website), but for education perfect which i want him to have access not working. by the way, I use the key word " education" which does not works, then i tried " education perfect" which also does not works. "ep" also does not work.