TPG Community

Get online support

Network switch before modem

gontran
Level 2

Hi,

I currently have the following setup working

NBN box --> wall plate-->study etehrnet outlet-->ArcherVR1600v.  This is working perfectly.

The NBN box is in a spot adjacent a wall plate with 4 etehrnet sockets, the wall plate services 4 locations, study x2, tv & bedroom tv.

I want to run the following but it is not working.

NBN box-->network switch--> wall plate and then have the Archer wher it is but also use the remaining 3 etehrnet point as wired connections.

When the network switch is placed before the Archer, I still get WiFi, but the etehrnet ports dont supply data

Can it be done?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @gontran the network switch doesn't have routing capabilities so can't translate your WAN IP address to more than 1 device, it needs to be connected downstream of the router so needs to be connected only to a LAN port on your VR1600v to distribute Ethernet to your other devices.

You could leave the network switch next to the NBN box, move the VR1600v to the study and utilising the 2 Ethernet cables to your study use one for connecting the NBN box to the VR1600v's WAN port, the second study cable can carry Ethernet from a LAN port on the VR1600v back to the switch. The switch can then distribute Ethernet to the other sockets on the wall plate to feed the TV and bedroom TV points.

gontran
Level 2

Thanks Orbistat,

I came to the same conclusion.

I was hoping for a cleaner setup than that, using fewer cables running along desks and skirting boards.

Could I get a second VR1600v.

NBN box--->VR1600v--->Network switch---> wall plate. From there it would be ethernet to the 4 data outlets, one of which I could use for the second VR1600v.

Cheers

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @gontran You could in theory run a second VR1600v as an access point by disabling DHCP on it although if what you need is better Wi-Fi access in more places you are probably better off with a Wi-Fi mesh system that will complement your wired LAN system, work better overall and have just one SSID to cover the whole home.

RFragnito
Level 2
Would you then lose your VoIP service?