TPG Community

Get online support

Using a different modem to split the NBN ethernet cable capability

kylielim
Level 2

Hi All,

I live in an apartment. I have NBN installed with a new TPG supplied modem.

I was wondering if I was able to use a non TPG provided modem to split the ethernet cable at the NBN box in my apartment to allow for ease of cabling, that is, using the apartment ethernet cables to go to the lounge room and the study room.

Currently, as there is only ony uni-D available I have to choose between the lounge or the study.

I would prefer to have the TPG modem next to the TV giving wifi, but I would need another router to pass the NBN through to my gaming PC in the study.

Do I have to contact TPG to allow the use of a non TPG modem? Is it allowed to have two connected to the same NBN?

Regards,

Kylie

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @kylielim,

Welcome to the community!

It is not possible to connect a Ethernet-Splitter to NBN Box UNI-D port. NBN Box will only recognize 1 authenticating device (TPG Supplied modem/router).

the apartment ethernet cables to go to the lounge room and the study room.

Is it an existing Ethernet Port in the apartment? If so, you can connect an Ethernet Cable to the modem/router's LAN 1-4 for the connection it should work.

I would prefer to have the TPG modem next to the TV giving wifi, but I would need another router to pass the NBN through to my gaming PC in the study.

You may use a long Ethernet port for the modem/router's connected to the NBN box to reach the location of the TV  to get a better Wi-Fi connection.

Note: The length of the Ethernet cable used to the modem/router going to the NBN box will not affect the performance of the service.

Let us know should you require further assistance.