NBN FTTP connection

exodusnbn
Level 2
I am unable to surf the net on my PC. It seems intermittent as I was working well yesterday morning, then it failed. I still receive emails, and sometimes, if I go and have a cuppa, I get a page, but then can't do anything else. I reported the problem to TPG 2 weeks ago when it first occurred and was told they would investigate and advise within 2 days. I've heard nothing since. Oddly, the connection has worked well since, and I am still ok with streaming services and Android, but the inability to consistently work from my PC is a little more than frustrating. I have reset the modem, powered off, disconnected, stood on my head, etc. But no improvement. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
david64
Level 15

Hi @exodusnbn . Is your PC connected by wifi or ethernet?

What do you do to recover the connection on pc?

exodusnbn
Level 2
WiFi connected. Normally just restart/shut down my laptop and auto reconnect. I have powered off and disconnected the modem from the power source altogether also. I run a VPN, and I've shut that down to see if it is causing the issue after an auto update but that is a negative.
david64
Level 15

@exodusnbn . If the Android device is still working when pc has problem, it's unlikely to be the router.

Which wifi band does pc connect to? Same as Android?

How far away from router?  2.4Ghz band goes further than 5Ghz band.

On pc, what signal strength does it get? 

What is the wifi connection speed? This is a property of the wifi icon in task bar, not the speed from an internet speed test.

You can use the pc to find surrounding wifi networks. Possible wifi interference.

In command window,       netsh wlan show all

exodusnbn
Level 2
Currently on 2.4G, but have tried both. (Android is on 5Gbps)
WiFi receive rate is 72.2Mbps and the modem is 6 feet from the laptop.
Currently 12 networks visible.
exodusnbn
Level 2
Currently on 2.4G, but have tried both. (Android is on 5Gbps)
WiFi receive rate is 72.2Mbps and the modem is 6 feet from the laptop and signal strength is full strength.
Currently 12 networks visible.
david64
Level 15

@exodusnbn . Wifi speed is good.

With the 12 networks, you need to see if any of them are using the same wifi channel as your pc. On 2.4 band, channels 1 or 6 or 11 are best. Use one of these 3 channels if none are used, or use the one with lowest signal strength.

Next time pc drops out, do netsh command again. Any change?

And check wifi speed and strength.

Try to ping the router (check the label),  e.g.   ping 192.168.1.1

Try to login to router admin function.

exodusnbn
Level 2
Thanks for all that. Currently running channel 1, ping reveals min=687ms, Max=936ms, ave=810ms... when I try to run a speed test I get a message indicating no internet connection detected, yet still able to stream, email, etc.
exodusnbn
Level 2
BTW... after running the speed test and being told there's no internet connection, the check Internet status test returns an all clear, that voice, data and Internet connection are aok.
david64
Level 15

@exodusnbn . Those pings are really slow. My tablet at 65Mbps gets times up to 120 ms.

Does your router have a ping diagnostic? Login to router using some other device. Ping the problem laptop and then the Android device. Put the laptop on 5G as well although the different band shoudn't make a difference.

There might be a fault with the laptop's wifi.