TPG Community

Get online support

Optimize my NBN Superfast plan

Peter28
Level 2

Hello all,

Just switched my old nbn 50 to unlimited superfast plan, and wondering what to do next to optimize the internet speed, here's my situation:

1. I'm using Archer VR1600v modem router that TPG provided to me.

2. I'm using EERO mesh and wifi extender (3 in total) to extend my wifi signal.

3. The modem router was installed upstairs, I'm using my mac downstairs and the speet test only showing 90 mbps max, after many tries, same or worse result (between 68mbps - 90mbps) is this normal?

4. I'm living in a large house with walls and many rooms, having really bad phone receiptions too (normally can't even making phone calls. Have to go to front/back yard or using wifi calling function from my phone)

So guys, is there any chance to improve my interent speed up to 200ish mbps both upstairs and downstiars while in wifi connection? (Haven't had chance to try out ethernet connection as it's too far away from my computer to modem router) Do i need to buy a new set of wifi extenders? (some posts and threads states eero may interrupt superfaster connection? Please help me guys and thank you so much in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Peter28 . Any progress here?

What type of NBN connection do you have?

If you're not using the VOIP phone, would you consider using the Eero connected directly to NBN box?

As of the release of eeroOS v6.6.1 and eero App version 6.13.0, eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 & eero Pro 6E now support PPPoE. For more information on this feature and how to enable it, please see the following article.     https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060086931

Peter28
Level 2

Hi @david64 David64, thank you so much for the reply.

I'm currently using TPG NBN home superfast plan (232 Mbps) and I don't using VOIP phone at all. 

I'm not sure which eero mesh wifi devices I'm using (brought them 3-4 years ago, works great) but yes my eeroOS is now V7.3.0.

By connecting my eero device to the tiny black nbn box, will this increase my internet speed? What's the benefit of it? Do I need to buy another eero unit? Can you please provide me a walkthrough or instruction menu of how exactly what to do after I connect the unit with the black nbn box? I know that's a lot of questions to answer and I really apprectiate your time and effort, thank you so very much in advance.

david64
Level 15

@Peter28 . Login to Archer admin, Advanced, Network, EWAN. The ewan_pppoe interface should be the one connected. Click modify icon. Settings are PPPoE, username and password. Note if VLAN ID is enabled and the value. These settings have to be put into Eero main unit.

Eero is configured by app, so there's no real manual.

Do factory reset on Eero. Put it into Wireless Router mode.

Then the PPPoE settings. If VLAN ID is enabled in Archer, you need to find that setting in Eero.

If Eero doesn't do it or you can't find it (or contact Eero support), you can convert to a Data Only plan which doesn't use VLAN ID.

Eero by itself shoud be faster than using Archer. Run the speedtest on TPG support page. Use 5Ghz wifi device next to router for best indication. On the wifi device, check the wifi connection speed. It should show in the device connection settings. (You should probably test this first using Archer. There's always a chance TPG have misconfigured the connection.)

Then place the 2 satellites. If wifi signal strength drops, that affects speed. So, a 3rd satellite might be needed.

Peter28
Level 2

@david64 thank you so very much kind sir. I'll try this method out when I get back  from holidays! Thank you again for your effort and all the best!