TPG Community

Get online support

TP-LINK AX5400 weak signal

parrig
Level 2

Hi There!
Got new NBN connection from TPG "NBN Home Ultrafast (671Mbps)". My modem is the tp-link ax5400, brand new. The modem position is in the kitchen due to nbn router cables. When I am in the living room (open to the kitchen) the speed is around 690Mbps but in the bedrooms speed drops to 60Mbps. With Optus I only had 50Mbps (Modem Sagemcom ) but the speed was the same in the bedrooms.

Question: Is this modem cheap version of tp-link? Do you think I should replaced for a better one? Can a WiFi booster fix my problem?
Thx! Cheers!

1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @parrig . You can use your mobile phone to check signal strength and wifi connection speed (not internet speedtest) in the litchen, living room, and bedroom. From your description, signal strength and connection speed will be reduced in bedroom.

If you have a Windows laptop, you can use fhe following command to get a better idea of wifi  coverage, and surrounding networks.

netsh wlan show all

In bedroom, can you try the 2.4Ghz wifi band. It has greater range than 5Ghz band. 

A wifi extender could help. It is placed partway between router and where you need extra coverage.