Lead-In Cabling

fshoushtari
Level 2

Hi
My TPG case manager asked me to hire a private technician install lead-in cable by myself for further development. However, the Telstra installer told me that had passed a form to their civil team to do this may be in next couple of weeks.
1- Is a private technician allowed to connect lead-in cable to the white node(Telstra node?)
2- Does the technician needs to be certified by Telstra or an electrical technician can do this?
3- Which cable type is suitable to connect our property to the outside to be compatible for both ADSL2+ and NBN(in near future our area will have access to NBN) and also will be approved by Telstra

Thanks,
Farshad Naghash Shoushari.

2 REPLIES 2
PeterW

Hello fshoushtari,

Thank you for being a part of the TPG Community and for your questions, I have responded to each below:

1- Is a private technician allowed to connect lead-in cable to the white node(Telstra node?)

A - Yes, (I assume here you mean the white telephone outlet (RJ45) inside your home)

the private technician needs to hold a valid ACMA Registered Cablers licence with the appropriate endorsements.

You can find a Registered Cabler here: https://www.acma.gov.au/find-registered-cabler

2- Does the technician needs to be certified by Telstra or an electrical technician can do this?

A - Within your home a ACMA licence technician is required but they will need to be certified by Telstra/NBN to connect any cables to the street network.

Most electricians will carry the ACMA registration

3- Which cable type is suitable to connect our property to the outside to be compatible for both ADSL2+ and NBN(in near future our area will have access to NBN) and also will be approved by Telstra

A - This is dependant on your location, in a regular suburb environment within 5 km from your telephone exchange a 2 pair (2/0.40 PEIUT) black cable is required. In a rural area you should contact Telstra for clarification.

NBN will be dependant on the type of infrastructure they are using in your area:

FTTN and FTTC will use the same cable as ADSL

FTTP will require an Optical Fibre cable into your house.

HFC will require a Coaxial cable similar to Foxtel cables installed to your house.

You can search your address at http://www.nbnco.com to confirm  the type of NBN connection you need.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards

PeterW

Mal_mod

Hi @fshoushtari 

I've sent you a private message in regard to your lead-in issues. 

This is a bit more complex than it seems,