MDF Box can not be located

jasonwu9921
Level 3

HI i have been with TPG for a year now approaching my 2nd.

I have always been using the adsl line but now i want to switch to NBN broadband.

I called TPG and asked to book an appointment, i missed the first one because times were not specific so i decided to book again for a technician to come in and help me with the installation of NBN, but to my surprise the job could not be done because the technician could not find the MDF box.

Once again i had to book again for another appointment but i was told that i had to find the box myself, i have no knowledge of what it is nor do i know what it looks like, the customer service was done very poorly and i was never told i needed to know where the box is as i thought that the technician knew it all. 

I have moved houses (Villa) and i have not even been here for a year and never got told about some MDF box. I am unsure if there even is this 'MDF' box on my property. I wish TPG would help me with this situation but instead they leave me to do it myself with limited knowledge.

14 REPLIES 14
david64
Level 15

The main distribution frame (MDF) is used to connect telephone cables from the street to telephone cables going to each apartment in apartment block and possibly in a villa complex as well. There might be someone in your villa complex who knows about it or your strata plan manager. It could be a small utility room near the front of the block.

jasonwu9921
Level 3

Yes i have looked all around the complex and asked almost all residents here, they all say they have their own box on their wall outside of their house. 

I have also called Strata and they had no idea, their final decision was to send emails to the residents that live here, same answer came back, "We all have our own telephone box on our walls outside of the house".

I have been walking around the complex and have noticed a box on one of the wooden poles about 3 meters up on the street but I am unsure if thats what im looking for.

david64
Level 15

I don't think it's the thing on the pole in the street.

Do these other people have NBN?

Does you unit have a box on the outside like the others?

If you look at one of those boxes, does it have any cables or plastic tubing coming out of it?

In my area, a box on the outside of a house was for a connection to the Optus/Foxtel cable running along the power poles on the street.

You're right though. TPG should have checked or organised with NBN that preliminary work had been done. 

And NBN should know the arrangement for each address.

jasonwu9921
Level 3

Im unsure if other residents have NBN but I am sure that my area is NBN ready as i checked on the TPG website. My unit does not have a box outside like the others.

Right now I have no clue what im suppose to do, and now i cant get my internet installed because TPG are sending the technicians with only the address and not other information like the layout of complex and where things they need are located and where to look for them.

Below is a picture of the box outside, I am not allowed to touch it so how am i suppose to check if its what im looking for, only technicians with a license can.

This is the box i am referring to outside of my unit.This is the box i am referring to outside of my unit.

jasonwu9921
Level 3

As much as i would love to believe that this is the box, im quite sure it is not. 

RajenS

MDF

Most likely its located on unit one wall . some old MDF little close to the roof,

please look at this photo, can see anything like this.?

thank u 

20191119_143609.jpg

jasonwu9921
Level 3

I have taken a stroll around my house after seeing your message there are no things like that on my walls. I am really getting sick of just trying to find it, my installation has been delayed for almost 2 months now because of this. I payed $100 for the installation fee and the technician that came 2 weeks ago didnt really try to find it and asked me to find it, very poor service for $100. 

Im going to say this once again, I was never told about the box during the phone call when I booked the installation.

RajenS

I am sorry and understand your stress, and some units don't have MDF.
Telstra cable comes directly to the socket. Please allow me 24 hours I will get back to you.

david64
Level 15

The picture from the moderator doesn't look like it. The pole on the street looks like SHODDY work by the NBN contractor, considering the coil of cable taped around the pole.

If you get on well with the other units, they might show you what internet connection they have. Look at whether they have 1 or 2 boxes and what model numbers they are; whether the box connects to the telephone wall socket or something else. Get a photo if you can. And ask which internet provider they use.