TPG Community

Get online support

Modem/router and Computer Connection

SOLVED Go to solution
Kattalbot
Level 2

Hi,

I have just signed up for TPG ADSL2+ unlimited, and my modem is on I ts way. I have been looking through a few document however, and I am a bit concerned. 

1. Is the TPG modem a router as well? Or do I need to buy another element?

2. All the guides say that “With the supplied Ethernet cable, connect your PCto any of the 4 LAN ports on the back of your modem.” do I have to connect my iMac? I don’t want a wired connection, just wifi. I know this is used for configuring the modem, but as mine comes preconfigured, is this connection necessary? I hope not.

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Kattalbot Welcome to the community, the supplied device will be a combined modem/router, it's optional whether you connect to the modem/router via the supplied Ethernet cable.

In practice however Ethernet is a more reliable way to connect, although your iMac should be able to connect via Wi-Fi only, the configuration menu in the modem/router will also still be accessible via Wi-Fi if ever required anyway.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Kattalbot Welcome to the community, the supplied device will be a combined modem/router, it's optional whether you connect to the modem/router via the supplied Ethernet cable.

In practice however Ethernet is a more reliable way to connect, although your iMac should be able to connect via Wi-Fi only, the configuration menu in the modem/router will also still be accessible via Wi-Fi if ever required anyway.