Wired Ethernet

sjcindustries
Level 2
Hi,
I have just installed modem, do I need to buy a extender or is there another way to hook my Xbox up to be wired instead of wifi, the modem is in garage and Xbox in another room which has a phone port and co axial port in the wall, just looking for a basic solution thank you
3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @sjcindustries . What type of NBN connection do you have?

You should investigate if you can use a longer ethernet cable (Cat6) between NBN box and router. Depends on the layout of the house. It would mean the wifi is not being wasted in the garage. And ethernet would be available inside house.

Phone and coax cables can't be used to connect devices to the router.

Extenders and mesh units need the wifi signal from the riuter. Some mesh units have ethernet ports but still use wifi connection back to router.

sjcindustries
Level 2
It’s wired to the house, I don’t want to have to run cable from media room to garage, it’s only a couple of metres, would I still get same download/upload speeds if just using wifi or would a extender speed that up to “wired” speeds?
david64
Level 15

@sjcindustries . If it is only a short distance, what signal strength and wifi connection speed does the Xbox get with just the router? It is unlikely to be as fast as the gigabit ethernet port but should be fast enough for gaming. The 5G band gives better speed over short distance. The 2.4G band has longer range with lower speed. An extender will extend wifi coverage past the media room but is still limited by the wifi speed of the router.