Excessive data usage

Kelsey
Level 2
I have spoken to someone in regards to the excessive amount of data I seem to be using and the fact that my account statement says I’m connected to the wifi for 20+ hours a day, even though I am not home for at least 10 of those hours. The only device left in my house when I am not home that is connected the the wifi is my TV which is turned off. I also managed to chew up all of my data within a couple of days even though I only watched two movies and spent minimal time on my phone browsing. This also occurred last month with the data being used very quickly and the connection times being unrealistic.

The gentleman I spoke too couldn’t give me any answers as to why this was happening and said I would receive a call back within two days which did not happen.
6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @Kelsey . Which limited data plan are you on? Does it have a peak and offpeak allowance?

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Any other devices apart from phone and TV?

On your usage statement, does it split data usage into peak and offpeak upload and download, i.e. 4 columns?

Them time of most usage might give a clue.

Kelsey
Level 2
Hi David,

Thanks for responding! I am on the NBN FTTN Broadband S Bundle 10GB.

The only two devices that I have connected are my phone and TV.

On my usage statement it splits it into logon time, connected time, downloads and uploads.

The logon times even seem bizarre as I’m definitely not using wifi that late at night. On Friday for example it has me logged on for 23 hours & 57 minutes, my downloads were 9847.455 MB and uploads 175.035 MB.
I wasn’t home for at least 11 hours and only watched one movie on Netflix Friday night.
david64
Level 15

@Kelsey . The daily accounting is done shortly before midnight for the current connection duration, usually about 24 hours. If you get dropouts or turn router off, there are extra records for the day.

A couple of things to try.

When you finish for the night or go out, turn off wifi on router (sometimes there is a switch to do this). 

Is your wifi secured with a password? You can disable the wifi network that you don't use.

Your mobile phone might keep stats on data usage when on home wifi. Or just switch it to mobile data only.

The VR1600 router has wireless statistics showing activity for each wifi device.

Also has traffic monitor showing byte counts on each wifi network.

Shane

Hey @Kelsey,

I'd love to help raise this to one of our Senior Technician to help us make investigation of the excessive data usage. Send me a Private Message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) also include your best contact number and preferred time.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

I have spoken to someone in regards to the excessive amount of data I seem to be using and the fact that my account statement says I’m connected to the wifi for 20+ hours a day, even though I am not home for at least 10 of those hours. The only device left in my house when I am not home that is connected the the wifi is my TV which is turned off. I also managed to chew up all of my data within a couple of days even though I only watched two movies and spent minimal time on my phone browsing. This also occurred last month with the data being used very quickly and the connection times being unrealistic.

The gentleman I spoke too couldn’t give me any answers as to why this was happening and said I would receive a call back within two days which did not happen.
david64
Level 15

Hi @Kelsey . Did you get a resolution for your excessive data usage? What was using all the data?

peterjames
Level 3

I've complained about this before, but nothing was ever done about it.

I do wonder why TPG can't give instant bandwidth useage.

Other internet providers can and do.

If I lived in Sydney, I'd change providers immediatly, just for this one reason alone.