TPG Community

Get online support

1997 Dial Up Speeds - SO SLOW

reneej
Level 2

Current speed test shows a download speed of 3.9Mbps and an upload speed of 0.8Mbps. I live at Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast - not exacty remote! I feel like I'm back in 1997... infuriating.

2 REPLIES 2
Erika

Hi @reneej

Welcome to the Community! 

We definitely would like to get to the bottom of this and see what can be done to improve your connection’s performance.

I've located your account using your Community details and can see that we provide you with our ADSL2+ with Homephone bundle. 

Provided that you are using ADSL2+ connection, the connection's performance can be mainly affected by the length and quality of the existing copper cable going into your premises. The farther you are from the exchange, the slower the speed gets.

I've run remote tests to check the quality of the line outside and the results does not show a physical fault that would affect your internet speeds. 

Another thing that we need to consider is how your devices are connected to the router [Cable or Wi-Fi]. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by cable. 

Here is a great article at TPG Community with some helpful speed troubleshooting tips that may also assist you: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-Internet-Connection/ba-p/11....

But I do still recommend that we have one of our technicians give you a call to resolve your issue as your service may be affected by other factors.    

Please let us know your best time and contact number via PM so I can get a technician to call you.

Regards, 

Vhorlon
Level 4

Under 1mb/s here - regularly - not far from an exchange and we've had ongoing drop-out issues for months. I'm in metropolitan SA and I've seen more reliable internet in Coober Pedy. Chances are they'll apply a bandaid fix which will work for a couple of days. Then its off to tier 1 support city once again. Can't load pages 80% of the time, certainly cant do any gaming. If I'm lucky I can ping Google a small handful of times a day and thats about it. Going with another provider now - one who's actually accountable and doesnt pass the buck.

EDIT:

No longer "going" with - HAVE GONE WITH. And the internet is better than I've seen it in months. Gone from under 1mb/s to close to 8mb/s on the same ADSL lines. Best I EVER got with tpg was 2-3mb/s.