TPG Community

Get online support

5 Ghz wifi suddenly cannot connect

bsguy
Level 2

Dear TPG Community,

I recently got a replacement modem from TPG to replace my 5 years old modem that's broken. This modem seems to have capability to broadcast 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.

When I first plugged it, I can test both speed and can connect it to my devices, no problem, my iphone got around 90 Mbps, surprisingly fast.

After few hours suddenly 5g option is dropping and I can no longer connect to 5g speed. So I can only use the 2.4 ghz one, which gives me around 15-50 Mbps.

I wonder why is the 5 ghz wifi no longer works? Does TPG / ISP have a way to block this? Is this something that's offered by TPG separately as bundle?

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @bsguy ,

Thanks for raising this to us. The dropouts and slow connection speed from 5Ghz connection might be caused by a wireless interference.

Here are some articles that you may find helpful please see below.

We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. Let us know how it will go and should you require further asssitance.

Regards,

@bsguy wrote:

Dear TPG Community,

I recently got a replacement modem from TPG to replace my 5 years old modem that's broken. This modem seems to have capability to broadcast 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.

When I first plugged it, I can test both speed and can connect it to my devices, no problem, my iphone got around 90 Mbps, surprisingly fast.

After few hours suddenly 5g option is dropping and I can no longer connect to 5g speed. So I can only use the 2.4 ghz one, which gives me around 15-50 Mbps.

I wonder why is the 5 ghz wifi no longer works? Does TPG / ISP have a way to block this? Is this something that's offered by TPG separately as bundle?