TPG Community

Get online support

5G Home Broadband - Strict NAT removal (PS5)

SOLVED Go to solution
akizzle
Level 2

Hi there,

I have added my PS5 console to the DMZ via router settings, however my NAT Type is still showing as restricted.

I contacted PS5 Support and they said that I need to ensure that the console is correctly added to the DMZ on the router, and I confirmed that this is the case. They then said to contact my ISP to see if they can change NAT Type 3 (restricted) to NAT Type 2.

Is this possible? I thought that if I added the device to the DMZ on the router it would rectify any NAT restrictions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @akizzle ,

TPG 5G home broadband comes with CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on Home Wireless Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)
  • Game Consoles

For more details about 5G home broadband please see the link here: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/All-About-TPG-Home-Wireless-Broadband/td-p/95154.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @akizzle ,

TPG 5G home broadband comes with CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on Home Wireless Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)
  • Game Consoles

For more details about 5G home broadband please see the link here: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/All-About-TPG-Home-Wireless-Broadband/td-p/95154.

akizzle
Level 2

Thanks for the reply @Shane 

Is there a way to 'opt out' of CG-NAT? I know other providers allow this. Does TPG?

If not, are there any other alternatives? Can a request be made to open specific ports only which is used for gaming?

Shane

Hi @akizzle ,

At this time, TPG has no options to opt out of CG-Nat with our 5G home broadband. The best we can do is switch over to a TPG-NBN connection to utilize the game console.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply @Shane

Is there a way to 'opt out' of CG-NAT? I know other providers allow this. Does TPG?

If not, are there any other alternatives? Can a request be made to open specific ports only which is used for gaming?

akizzle
Level 2

I see - sorry for the multiple questions.. but one last from me.

What about IPV6?

Shane

Hi @akizzle ,

TPG does not offer IPV6 service yet, but we will surely make an announcement as soon as it becomes available.

Regards,