TPG Community

Get online support

5G option on wifi with NBN cnx is intermittent

the_real_shunts
Level 2

I've been connected to TPG since November, without incident, until early January when I noticed that my devices were automatically connecting to the 2.4 cnx on the wifi modem, but not the 5G.  I can turn the hybrid coax router off & back on and it works, for a time.  I have an ethernet cnx running from the router to another part of the house & use a wiifi extender there, and 5G works without a problem consistently.  Is there an issue with the TPG Hybrid Coax router?

1 REPLY 1
Erika

Hi @the_real_shunts

Welcome to the Community! 

The primary difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies is range as the 2.4GHz frequency is able to reach farther than the 5GHz frequency. This is a result of the basic characteristics that waves attenuate much faster at higher frequencies. 

The second difference is the number of devices on the frequencies. 2.4GHz suffers more interference than 5GHz.

In both aspects, choosing to deploy on the 5GHz frequency is the much better option as you have more channels to use to isolate yourself from other networks and there are far fewer interference sources. 

On your case, it seems that your device is set to connect to the 2.4GHz automatically. 

I would suggest to try forgetting the 2.4GHz on your device and then reconnect to the 5GHz. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Cheers,