TPG Community

Get online support

ADSL 2 + vs NBN on the HFC

DannyWhite
Level 2

I'm currently experiencing issues with my ADSL 2+, my line sync is only reaching 5000 and my internet speed is ranging from 0.98Mb/s to 4.5Mb/s download, depending on the time of day. 

After contacting your technical support team they've told me it's due to my distance from the exchange and there's nothing we can do, being 3.6KM's away. 

My main question now, is having the NBN installed in February (Using the HFC connection) going to increase my speeds, or will my connection distance from the exchange still be the main issue with my connection? I have signed up for a 100/40 plan, but if i'm going to be facing speeds as I am currently then there's no point going above the 12Mb/s plan. 

1 REPLY 1
Riezl

Hi @DannyWhite,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The NBN100 is configured on the nbn100 Wholesale Plan tier with 40Mbps upload. This plan has a typical evening speed of 78.8Mbps download and ideal for;

• 6-9 users
  • Making phone calls (VoIP)
  • Email, Social Media and Web Browsing
  • Standard Definition (SD) Streaming
  • High Definition (HD) Streaming
  • UHD/4K Streaming

Typical Evening Download Speed is measured between 7pm and 11pm. The actual speeds for the service may be slower and vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

NBN Cable/Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) is a network technology that allows access to fast broadband services using a combination of fibre and coaxial cable to connect your home to the NBN network.

That being said, the copper cable distance will no longer affect the actual speed you will get on NBN HFC service.

Let us know should you have further queries. Thank you.