TPG Community

Get online support

All individual downloads capped at 5mbps on NBN50 plus plan ? Why ?

adk
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there TPG team,

Have had this issue since day one of my NBN install and it's finally bothered me enough today to follow this up.  I am on the NBN FTTC SL Bundle Fast - NBN50 plan.  My tp-link mesh router and speed tests via websites always report somewhere around a 50MBps download speed   (image attached), all my downloads via chrome or synology NAS however (image attached) always cap out at a download speed of 5mbps  ?  I've never ever noticed a download speed any higher than 5mbps.  Why ?

Would love to get an answer to this and solve it once and for all. 
Cheers. 

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @adk,

Try to reboot the modem/router or try different browser and perform another speedtest and check if any improvement with the download speed. This is usually caused by the network used by the host of the file.

Let us know how it will go.

Regards,

Hi there TPG team,

Have had this issue since day one of my NBN install and it's finally bothered me enough today to follow this up.  I am on the NBN FTTC SL Bundle Fast - NBN50 plan.  My tp-link mesh router and speed tests via websites always report somewhere around a 50MBps download speed   (image attached), all my downloads via chrome or synology NAS however (image attached) always cap out at a download speed of 5mbps  ?  I've never ever noticed a download speed any higher than 5mbps.  Why ?

Would love to get an answer to this and solve it once and for all. 
Cheers. 

adk
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Reset the router, tried different browser, Firefox this time. Different speed test site - OOKLA, tp-link speed test - both show download speeds above 50Mbps ( grabs attached)  

Downloading a few different files from google drive (assume that would yield fast downloads) , one from my drive one from someone else's  - both show speeds of just above 5mpbs ?

So the 5mbps cap mystery continues.

Thanks heaps for looking into this and helping me out.  I've been on this NBN plan for years btw.  This download speed cap is not a recent happening/observation. I just decided to report it today.

Forgot to mention, if I download multiple files , the agregate download speed becomes 5mbps. So one file will be 1.5mbps, one will be 3.0mbps, and one will hover around/below 1.0mbps.

Shane

Hi @adk,

Let us check the status of the network, could you send us a PM with your details (Username/Customer ID) together with the address on file so we can proceed with initial investigation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi Shane,

Reset the router, tried different browser, Firefox this time. Different speed test site - OOKLA, tp-link speed test - both show download speeds above 50Mbps ( grabs attached)  

Downloading a few different files from google drive (assume that would yield fast downloads) , one from my drive one from someone else's  - both show speeds of just above 5mpbs ?

So the 5mbps cap mystery continues.

Thanks heaps for looking into this and helping me out.  I've been on this NBN plan for years btw.  This download speed cap is not a recent happening/observation. I just decided to report it today.

Forgot to mention, if I download multiple files , the agregate download speed becomes 5mbps. So one file will be 1.5mbps, one will be 3.0mbps, and one will hover around/below 1.0mbps.

david64
Level 15

Hi @adk . Speedtest sites usually show speeds in Mbps megabits per second, so you internet speeds are good. The Firefox download is showing MBps megabytes per second. Multiply by 8 to get approx bits per second. A file download always has more overhead so a slower download speed.

On Windows, you can use the Task Manager Networking tab to find the datarate sent and received.

adk
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for chiming in David,

WiFi is showing much higher speeds, correct - around 40MBps.

Logically however, how long should a 250MB file from google drive take to download at NBN50 speeds even considering the overheads ? 5 Seconds would be ideal , 10 seconds is half speed.  For me however it takes just over  60 seconds ?  I might be confused here but what decent/realistic download speed should one expect to download files at from google drive?  I'm only asking because today I had a time critical project to deliver and needed to download a 20 GB dataset before I could begin.  At 50MBps that's a 7 minute download versus an hour plus wait at the speeds I'm actually getting. 

The pic attached shows how long I wait to download a 250Mb sample file.

Cheers.  

adk
Level 2
Level 2

OK , never one to be shy to admit my own foolishness Smiley Happy 
Appears that I have totally misunderstood Megabit per second VS Megabyte per second.

After your comment I had to look it up as I have always thought it was a one to one calc, not 1 to 8 Smiley Sad)

I owe you a beer David.   Thanks heaps for clearing that up for me.

I feel like a right old **.