TPG Community

Get online support

Broadband Throttle Throttled Throttling

petra888
Level 2

yeah lol.  I did a speedtest.net  yesterday (in fact the past 4 days) and the download speed was in the range of 45-50mbps. I am on the 50mbps plan.  This morning i turned on my laptop and it was extremely slow. So i did a speedtest. and the download speed was down to between 0.53mps to 8.1 mbps !!!! This is even slower than my first dial-up internet connection speed.  So i called up TPG, and the fella on the line made me run a series of tests, on my laptop and my mobile. And the speed did not improve. After my ranting, he said someone from TPG will call me again. I hung up. And i ran the speed test again. Voila - the download speed is 42 mbps. So the only explanation is they removed the throttle after my complaint. So throttling even happens to 50mbps plan. Now i recall, the last time i called up to complain about the same thing, the speed was also magicaly restored after i hung up. I find this is unfair practice and dishonesty on TPG's part. And of course they will deny it. Hope to hear from the rest of you. 

Shane

Hi @petra888,

The connection probably fix itself after a series of test performed by our Technical Team. Please understand that TPG will never throttle the connection of the service.

Should you require more assistance, feel free to shoot us a PM with your details.

Regards,

yeah lol.  I did a speedtest.net yesterday (in fact the past 4 days) and the download speed was in the range of 45-50mbps. I am on the 50mbps plan.  This morning i turned on my laptop and it was extremely slow. So i did a speedtest. and the download speed was down to between 0.53mps to 8.1 mbps !!!! This is even slower than my first dial-up internet connection speed.  So i called up TPG, and the fella on the line made me run a series of tests, on my laptop and my mobile. And the speed did not improve. After my ranting, he said someone from TPG will call me again. I hung up. And i ran the speed test again. Voila - the download speed is 42 mbps. So the only explanation is they removed the throttle after my complaint. So throttling even happens to 50mbps plan. Now i recall, the last time i called up to complain about the same thing, the speed was also magicaly restored after i hung up. I find this is unfair practice and dishonesty on TPG's part. And of course they will deny it. Hope to hear from the rest of you. 

Umack
Level 4

Hi,

TPG do throttle their low cost limited data NBN plans. If you exceed your data allocation they "shape" your bandwidth down to nothing. Throttling, or choking the life out of the internet connection is pretty apt.