TPG Community

Get online support

Can’t send email on anything except webmail

Melnve
Level 2

I have had my TPG email address since the beginning of time, but suddenly I can't send emails from anything except webmail. Thunderbird thinks I'm sending spam and blocks outgoing mail, and my iOS devices just give me generic can't connect to outgoing server errors. I have three email addresses and all are failing. I've read every help article, changed settings, tried different SMTP ports, turned off security and changed options to roll back to the old security standards in Thunderbird, changed my passwords, still no luck. Doesn't work on TPG nbn on WiFi or Vodafone cellular. I can receive email fine. So frustrating!

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Melnve . Just considering Thunderbird, what setting combinations are you using for sending mail:

port number, security level, using authentication, outgoing mail server name.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

Regarding the spam, is Thunderbird rejecting it, or is the TPG mail server rejecting it?

Melnve
Level 2

Thunderbird version 78.12.0 (64-bit). I read everything about the issues with security in this version, so at the moment it is port 587 (have tried 25, same result), server mail.tpg.com.au (have tried smtp.tpg.com.au too). Currently set to no security with transmit password insecurely, which I don't like, but was on STARTTLS with normal password previously. Have also checked security.tls.version.min and was already set to 1. I've attached the error message.

I couldn't  send on my phone or iPad either yesterday (just sat in my outbox forever), only webmail (different error but same result). Apple devices seem to have resolved today but Thunderbird is not go. I don't want to roll back Thunderbird and lose all my email that is now in a format that is not backwards compatible (tried already).

Thanks.

david64
Level 15

@Melnve . In TB, have you selected the "outgoing mail needs authentication" option? That's the suggestion in the error message.

Do you have your username and password set for incoming and outgoing connections?

Using port 25 with STARTTLS will encrypt all traffic.

Does TB have a logging function to track what it's doing?

Is webmail working on your 3 devices?

Melnve
Level 2

So I've changed it back to STARTTLS and port 587, and suddenly it's working again... Basically I have gone around in a big circle, changed it back to what it was originally, and it's just resolved itself. I'm guessing maybe it wasn't at my end after all...

Thanks for your help!