TPG Community

Get online support

Change to the Messaging Company Email Settins

cyendle
Level 2

My Email has been changed to The Messaging Company. But now I have an error message that the encryption method is not supported.

I checked the TPG Help page and used the settings they provided. Unfortunatly the settings on TPG's Help page are for the OLD TPG Email Server and they do NOT work for the Messaging Company.

Web Mail was working so I new the account was active. I tried calling TPG but that was a waste of time. After much Trial and Error I have found the settings for The Messaging Company Email account.

Incoming Mail Server    mail.tpg.com.au

Outgoing Server            mail.tpg.com.au

Incoming POP3             110

SSL                                off

Outgoing Server           Logon Using Name & Password

Outgoing Server           587

Encryption                    Auto

Secure Password         off

I hope this helps others.

Charles

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15
@cyendle. You are using insecure connection for your mail client. You should check if there is a later version of your client that supports TLS 1.2. You can then use encryption. TPG has stated that they would retire TLS 1.0 and 1.1.
Marylee
Level 3

Hi Charles,

I have the same problem. Spent ages on the problem yesterday, then in mid-afternoon found that Thunderbird was working OK but Outlook was still not. Sent 2 emails via Thunderbird, one to Helpdesk, and one today to Cutomer_Relations.  Still no reply, but I was fiddling around with the settings and found what you did. There was a flood of messages which were still on the server, HOWEVER, sending and receiving any normal messages is not working now, even though the "Test Account Settings" in Outlook does?!!

Ridiculous service!!

Marylee
Level 3

Hi david64,

When did TPG inform customers about retiring TLS 1.0 and 1.1 ??

david64
Level 15

Hi @Marylee . It is stated here: https://support.tpg.com.au/email-settings

But there has never been any notification. Would have been a matter of your client just not working one day. Then TPG just say "check the settings".

My Windows Live Mail worked up until yesterday using TLS 1.0, then failed when the mess was fixed up.

No way of knowing if the change was deliberate, or if it just slipped in coz no-one thought it was being used.

Lots of other changes: mail server ip address has changed, mail server alias name has changed, SSL/TLS certificate details have changed.

cyendle
Level 2

@david64 wrote:
@cyendle. You are using insecure connection for your mail client. You should check if there is a later version of your client that supports TLS 1.2. You can then use encryption. TPG has stated that they would retire TLS 1.0 and 1.1.

Thank you for your reply.

I am using an old version of Outlook. Not much I can do about it. I am not going to pay Microsoft for an updated Outlook just because TPG had decided to dump the older TLS. TPG hss cost enough lately. 

They turned off the free web server. Now I have to pay to host my site elsewhere. Now they are dumping Email and we will have to pay extra for that service. TPG has me considering changing NBN providers. TPG is one of the most expensive NBN providers. I don't mind paying more for a better service. But TPG is now expensive and lowering the service they provide.

Charles

cyendle
Level 2

@Marylee wrote:

Hi Charles,

I have the same problem. Spent ages on the problem yesterday, then in mid-afternoon found that Thunderbird was working OK but Outlook was still not. Sent 2 emails via Thunderbird, one to Helpdesk, and one today to Cutomer_Relations.  Still no reply, but I was fiddling around with the settings and found what you did. There was a flood of messages which were still on the server, HOWEVER, sending and receiving any normal messages is not working now, even though the "Test Account Settings" in Outlook does?!!

Ridiculous service!!

I am using an old version of Outlook. Those settings are working for me. I can receive and send Emails. Just no security by the sound of it.

Charles