TPG Community

Get online support

Configuring Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERLite-3 with NBN HFC

awg
Level 2
Level 2

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help provide information on configuring a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERLite-3 with a TPG NBN HFC modem? I have upgraded the router to the latest firmware and then proceeded through the PPPoE wizard, enabling the VLAN option with VLAN ID 2. However, I don't seem to be able to connect. I entered the PPPoE username and password that I read from the bundled TP-Link router's configuration page.

Any insight from anyone with this, or a simialr router?

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @awg,

Welcome to the community!

Does it shows an Error Message after you setup the modem/router? Also, please post a screenshot of the modem/router's configuration settings for reference.

Cheers!

jsavio81
Level 3
I’m having the same issue with a unifi USG. Was thinking the edgemax series would solve this.

Did you have any luck setting this up? Would love to hear any advice if you did.
awg
Level 2
Level 2

Hi jsavio81,

I haven't actually had a chance to look at this again yet. I've worked on all other elements of my setup, leaving this one til last. Perhaps over the next few days I'll give it another attempt.

Ubiquti have a pretty great chat support if you're running the Controller (so I recently found), so I'll hit them up if I can't manage to crack it.

I'll let you know what happens.

m_ntt
Level 2

I recently switched from the bundle TP-link Archer v1600r to an Ubiquity EdgeRouter X, and it is working for me.

I think you're almost there with the below (using the Wizard):

Basic Setup

Port : where connected to the NBN HFC modem i.e. eth0 for me

Internet connection type: PPPoE

-  enter your username and password

VLAN : check the box to enable

VLAN ID = 2

Other setting as you like then hit Apply. There should be a pppoe0 visible on dash board now.

Annotation 2020-04-10 103113.png

Then double check the MTU are set to 1480 too, go Dashboard, and Action on pppoe0, change MTU to 1480 if it is something else.

Annotation 2020-04-10 102657.png

Let us know how you go

jsavio81
Level 3
Will have to pick up an edgerouter and give it a go. Obviously the unifi USG isn’t going to cut it for my needs
jsavio81
Level 3

Thanks m_ntt,

Just for reference, your post gave me hope, and managed to get the UniFi USG (security gateway) router connected to the TPG NBN HFC connection. I was 1 day away from buying an edge router x, but through I'd give it another crack

I got the UniFi USG working smoothly.

So for future reference to the TPG Support team, Yes, a UniFi USG system is a compatible router withyour service.

As it is a stand alone router I connected it directly to the NBN HFC Modem. Without using the TP-Link modem/router at all.

I did have to make sure a UniFi Cloudkey (physical device or software is running on their pc/Mac) to ensure all settings are enabled.

Yes, main settings to ensure are inputted correct are:

Protocol: PPPoE

Username: TPG username

Password: TPG password

VLAN: 2

If anyone needs assistance let me know, and I can share what I can.