TPG Community

Get online support

Constant ADSL2+ drop outs

eujinlim
Level 2

As I am writing this message, I am using my mobile data connection as my Wi-Fi refuses to connect to my PC.

Over the past week, we have experienced a significant decline in connection quality of our ADSL2+ service resulting frequent dropouts on hourly basis especially from noon onwards to early evening. While the Wi-Fi signal can be picked up by the PC/ mobile, connecting to it is not always possible. As a long-term customer of TPG, this has not been a normal experience in the past.

I have even have a Wi-Fi extender in place but this does nothng to improve the situation notwithstanding even when I am able to connect to the Wi-Fi, the speed sync is slower than before showing at 1 mbps at best (that IMHO, is seriously death slow).

I have tried to reset the router by turning it off and back on again but to my avail, the situation remains status quo. It is with great anticipation that when my residential area finally gets the NBN (which is scheduled for 8 April 2020 to be precise), this connectivity issue and speed sync would be a thing of the past but in the meantime, I hope a technician can resolve this issue for me as this predicament has made WFH/ SFH an almost impossible feat. 

5 REPLIES 5
David_M

Hi @eujinlim 

Thanks for your query!

Let me have a look for you, and I will get back to you ASAP.

There is also a new ''TPG Mobile APP'' to help you with various trouble shooting and account issues, via a mobile phone app.
https://www.tpg.com.au/download

Regards,
David_M

David_M

Hi @eujinlim 

I have checked your ADSL2+ service in our systems and it looks great! 18.6meg sync for 1.2km, which is a the normal speed for your ADSL and is stable.

It sounds like a modem issue. Maybe the modems wifi is going faulty, or it could be your devices wifi, which can also go faulty.

Plugging a cable direct from the modem LAN port to a device is a good way to check.

If it is the modem, unfortunately you will need to use a different one.

Wireless interference can cause various issues with your WiFi network. If all of your devices connected to via WiFi are affected, then you may need to change some wireless settings. We've created an article that will guide you on How to improve your home network.
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Regards,

David_M

eujinlim
Level 2

Hi David

Thank you for the speedy response and your suspicision on the modem issue could be the likelihood troubleshoot to explore as I have had this modem since 2013.

I had a look at the channel setting of the modem and it shows Channel 1. There are 2 other Wi-Fi routers operating at same channel as well. My modem is a NetComm Wireless (see attached device info) and was wondering if you could point to me on how to change the channel settings or, would you think that it is a futile attempt as the model is too old to produce any effect.

If the latter point is taken, would it be a possible to have TPG provide a new router in advanced to me by this week in the light that I have pre-ordered the NBN next week?   

David_M

Hi @eujinlim 

You should keep your wifi channel set to AUTO.

The Netcomm is a very old modem now.

Thanks,

eujinlim
Level 2

@David_M wrote:

Hi @eujinlim 

You should keep your wifi channel set to AUTO.

The Netcomm is a very old modem now.

Thanks,

Hi @David_M 

Noted with thanks but concerning my question posed earlier, can TPG make provisions to replace my existing modem with the NBN version this week as my sign-up is for 18 months?