DNS server outage?

SOLVED Go to solution
robm79
Level 3

Hi All,

In Perth with TPG NBN via cable and Archer modem, router, cat5 cable to desktop PC, Windows 7. All working fine up until earlier.

Switched on PC, windows taskbar icon says internet connected, but try to open google.com.au and Firefox says, "Hmm, we can't find that site" while Chrome says "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". (First thought: google pissed off at govt. and stopped their website in Australia, but tried other websites also didn't work.) Some websites did work though... very strange.

Looked up the error, tried some fixes:renew DNS connection, flush DNS cache, restart DNS client service, all made no difference.

Tried changing from default DNS servers (nothing filled in) to Cloudflare DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and now it works normally.

Checked TPG website, no outages listed fro Perth.

What does it mean? Am I missing something obvious? Why does it suddenly stop working?

Yours in puzzlement,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WayneR
Staff

Dear Community.. 

At the moment there is an issue between VIC and WA.

If your in WA you might find issues connecting outside WA but we have Technicians enroute to complete a workaround whilst a third party issue to be investigated

Regards,

WayneR

Update: This should be now working. Can you confirm?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vagrant1779
Level 3

Yes got home about 30mins ago and are getting exactly the same thing.. looks like the DNS servers are down.

I tried to call support but can't get through.. perhaps they are swamped with calls Smiley Wink 

robm79
Level 3

Have you tried setting different DNS servers, Cloudflare or Google?

vagrant1779
Level 3

I havn't yet mate, I need to head out for a few hours and was hoping it would be resolved by the time I got back

WayneR
Staff

Dear Community.. 

At the moment there is an issue between VIC and WA.

If your in WA you might find issues connecting outside WA but we have Technicians enroute to complete a workaround whilst a third party issue to be investigated

Regards,

WayneR

Update: This should be now working. Can you confirm?

robm79
Level 3

Yes. Back to default DNS server and it all seems to be working normally.

Thanks.

Shane

Thanks for the confirmation, @robm79. We're glad to know that the issue is now fixed. 

Yes. Back to default DNS server and it all seems to be working normally.

Thanks.

Bluewater
Level 2

Happened to us earlier this year and has just recurred (20.3). No issues listed on TPG service status - but elimination indicates the problem is with the TPG DNS server. I've had to change from the automatic DNS server choice in the network adapter IP4 settings (on multiple Windows and Linux machines) to use the following primary secondary DNS servers [main - 192.168.2.1 and alternate 208.67.222.222]. Works fine now, but what went wrong, and why wasn't there info given to us that this had gone south? Would have saved a LOT of sleuthing and stuffing around. (resetting and then power cycling modem/router; flushing dns cache, reinstalling browsers etc)