TPG Community

Get online support

Digital Voice Number modem settings

GeeDub
Level 2
Hi. I changed from Telstra to TPG about 3 months ago. The TPG supplied modem did not work on arrival (it would overheat and shut down after a few minutes). After multiple attempts at contacting TPG to get a replacement TPG modem, I ended up using my own modem however I cannot use the NBN digital voice number unless I use a TPG supplied modem. So about a week ago I purchased a TPG vr1600v modem from another TPG customer. Internet is working however under the phone settings in the modem there is no voice number connected/registered. My TPG online account settings says my digital voice number is active. I have a phone plugged in to phone socket 1 and I get a dial tone but then just a long beep after ringing a number. If I ring the voice number I get a message saying error code oca0188. I have run the TPG app support tool which says everything (including voice) is fine. I have sent a message to TPG support however I have no expectation of getting a meaningful response. I am hoping someone in this community forum can help. Sorry if this message sounds like complaining but I’m very disappointed at the lack of support from TPG when the modem they supplied didn’t work and now that I can’t get voice working with a TPG modem I’m about ready to go back to Telstra. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @GeeDub ,

Welcome to the community!

We're sad to know that you're having issues with the VoIP of the NBN service, we'd like to take this opportunity to turn around your experience and get to the bottom of this. To better understand the situation, please shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Regards,

@GeeDub wrote:
Hi. I changed from Telstra to TPG about 3 months ago. The TPG supplied modem did not work on arrival (it would overheat and shut down after a few minutes). After multiple attempts at contacting TPG to get a replacement TPG modem, I ended up using my own modem however I cannot use the NBN digital voice number unless I use a TPG supplied modem. So about a week ago I purchased a TPG vr1600v modem from another TPG customer. Internet is working however under the phone settings in the modem there is no voice number connected/registered. My TPG online account settings says my digital voice number is active. I have a phone plugged in to phone socket 1 and I get a dial tone but then just a long beep after ringing a number. If I ring the voice number I get a message saying error code oca0188. I have run the TPG app support tool which says everything (including voice) is fine. I have sent a message to TPG support however I have no expectation of getting a meaningful response. I am hoping someone in this community forum can help. Sorry if this message sounds like complaining but I’m very disappointed at the lack of support from TPG when the modem they supplied didn’t work and now that I can’t get voice working with a TPG modem I’m about ready to go back to Telstra. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GeeDub
Level 2
Hi Shane,

I refer to your pm.

Day 3 and still no call back from tech support. Even though you mentioned tech support attempted to contact me, there are no missed calls on my mobile at all. The only email response from helphdesk confirmed that my mobile number is what TPG have on file and to wait for TPG to contact me.

When I signed up with TPG 3 months ago I could not get any tech support when the TPG supplied modem was faulty on arrival (this has still never been resolved and my only solution was to use a non TPG modem but that means no voice). Now I have purchased another TPG modem from another TPG user which works fine for internet however the firmware doesn’t allow users to modify the voice settings.

I tested voice with the original TPG supplied modem and it works, but there is still the issue that the modem is faulty and shuts down after a few minutes.

Presumably the voice settings have to be pushed to the replacement TPG modem that I purchased. How do I make this happen?

I’m trying to find my own solutions but it’s clear that only TPG can add the voice settings to the modem.

I signed up on a contract and the service is not performing as described. I have no issue with the fact that the TPG supplied modem was faulty on arrival, these things happen, but this all could have been resolved 3 months ago if TPG just replaced the faulty modem but it seems this couldn't happen until tech support verified the fault however tech support would never call back as promised to test the modem and would just email and say everything looks fine from your end (even though only the power light on the TPG modem was on at my end and I could only get internet service with a non TPG modem).

What else can I do to get tech support from TPG?

This is incredibly frustrating.
Shane

Hi @GeeDub,

Sorry for delayed response, I chased this with our Technical Team expect them to contact you within the day. Please make sure to keep your mobile available for the call and let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Hi Shane,

I refer to your pm.

Day 3 and still no call back from tech support. Even though you mentioned tech support attempted to contact me, there are no missed calls on my mobile at all. The only email response from helphdesk confirmed that my mobile number is what TPG have on file and to wait for TPG to contact me.

When I signed up with TPG 3 months ago I could not get any tech support when the TPG supplied modem was faulty on arrival (this has still never been resolved and my only solution was to use a non TPG modem but that means no voice). Now I have purchased another TPG modem from another TPG user which works fine for internet however the firmware doesn’t allow users to modify the voice settings.

I tested voice with the original TPG supplied modem and it works, but there is still the issue that the modem is faulty and shuts down after a few minutes.

Presumably the voice settings have to be pushed to the replacement TPG modem that I purchased. How do I make this happen?

I’m trying to find my own solutions but it’s clear that only TPG can add the voice settings to the modem.

I signed up on a contract and the service is not performing as described. I have no issue with the fact that the TPG supplied modem was faulty on arrival, these things happen, but this all could have been resolved 3 months ago if TPG just replaced the faulty modem but it seems this couldn't happen until tech support verified the fault however tech support would never call back as promised to test the modem and would just email and say everything looks fine from your end (even though only the power light on the TPG modem was on at my end and I could only get internet service with a non TPG modem).

What else can I do to get tech support from TPG?

This is incredibly frustrating.
GeeDub
Level 2
Hello Shane. Thank you for your message. I have just received a call from tech support and TPG are sending out a new modem on Monday. Thank you for following up with them.
Shane

We're glad to know that you have been contacted. Updates will be provided via SMS or Phone call by one of our Technicians, let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Hello Shane. Thank you for your message. I have just received a call from tech support and TPG are sending out a new modem on Monday. Thank you for following up with them.