TPG Community

Get online support

Ethernet constantly dropping

kyyyli
Level 2

My Ethernet constantly is dropping, the cause is unknown, I could be doing anything and the time it drops can vary as well as if it drop for a long time or it keeps dropping over and over again in short periods of time - this has happened for a long time. I'm using the VR1600v and the Huawei HG-659 modem. TPG was completely useless when asking why this issue occured- they said something like, "Sometimes this will happen, you need to reset your modem.. blah blah blah." As if I haven't tried that and I don't think sometimes should be atleast 6 seperate times a day. Over the time I've used this incompetent brand, I've had 3 PCS all using Ethernet so that's definitely not a problem and I've used several different Ethernet cables - no difference either. The only cause I've deducted is the terrible hardware and/or software that TPG creates. Does anybody know how to resolve this issue? I'm going to change company's if not, but It's quite a hassle when I got ** to do on the internet.

Note: I never have a lot of traffic, never more than 3 active people at once - but it could still be 5 or 6 devices, nobody ever downloads anything huge, I've tried the different ports, My windows is always updated (using windows 11 but still crappy on windows 10), I don't have the 'Energy-Efficient Ethernet' when I go through the properties of the adapter in the control panel, all of the cables I've used are not cheap, flat Chinese cables, the room the modem and stuff are in is airconditioned, This account is not affiliated with the modem as I don't own it, my parents, almost as incompetent as TPG own it.  Also, how crappy does this technology got to be if I have to reset it daily for it to work. So much wasted time and energy. Begged to switch to anything but TPG, parents called TPG service desk instead of asking what Telstra's rates were.

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @kyyyli ,

Let us help understand what causing these dropouts with the service. 

Although there are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

Let us know how it will go.

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,