TPG Community

Get online support

Extreme ping spikes while playing games resulting in constant disconnects

SOLVED Go to solution
someguy1
Level 2

New TPG account, I'm having some issues that I haven't been able to find an answer to. While playing online games (several different games with different servers and launchers), everything runs OK for about 10-15 mins, then I get a massive ping spike (game ping goes from 25ish to over 3000). After a few moments of this, I get completely disconnected from the game servers.

As mentioned, this has happened with several different games. Speedtests have been run and they are usually hitting the advertised speeds, but the ping spikes keep happening even with good speeds. 

Advise please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
someguy1
Level 2

Hey @Shane ,

Thansk for the info mate, I've just changed the channel on the router and everything seems to be going OK at the moment so fingers crossed that was all it was. I'll try again at peak time and see if the issue is resolved. If it's all good I'll come back here and mark the issue as resolved.

@Roman If you haven't tried already, try changing the channel of your router. Shane provided the instructions here https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Roman
Level 2

I have exactly the same issue. On every game. Speed test showing an excellent result. Have no issue with downloads or streaming but when I start online gaming my ping within few minutes just skyrocketing from about 14-18 to 3000.

I've tried to call technical support and explained the situation. I said what I've done to ensure its not the issue on my end. the response I got from technical support was amazing... 'Try to play on the other website' he said.

Can we please have TPG rep to look into this issue.

Thank you

Shane

Hi @someguy1,

Welcome to the community!

We're able to locate your account using your communtiy details and ran an initial test, the result shows connected for 4d 21h 30m. No line fault or speed issue we're found on the line.

If the speed and latency you're getting based on test result then it could be the connection of your PC/Gaming console to the modem/router.

If its connected via Wi-Fi we did an article that will help you on how to improve your wireless network available here.

If you’re in  Australia, but playing on an American or Asian server, your latency will be higher because the geographical distance creates a delay between information being sent from an Australian client-side (player’s) connection before it’s received and relayed from the American server.

Connecting or Playing to a Game server not designated to your area will affect a high latency issue particularly if the Game Developer itself made a specific Server in every location such as SEA / NA Servers etc. If you're having latency issue while playing/connected to the Australian Server please post a screen shot of the latency issue and we'll have it check.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @Roman,

Welcome to the community!

We tried to use your community details to pull up the account unfortunately it does not show any matching records.

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

As mentioned above.

If the speed and latency you're getting based on test result then it could be the connection of your PC/Gaming console to the modem/router.

If its connected via Wi-Fi we did an article that will help you on how to improve your wireless network available here.

If you’re in  Australia, but playing on an American or Asian server, your latency will be higher because the geographical distance creates a delay between information being sent from an Australian client-side (player’s) connection before it’s received and relayed from the American server.

Connecting or Playing to a Game server not designated to your area will affect a high latency issue particularly if the Game Developer itself made a specific Server in every location such as SEA / NA Servers etc. If you're having latency issue while playing/connected to the Australian Server please post a screen shot of the latency issue and we'll have it check.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

someguy1
Level 2

Hey @Shane ,

Thansk for the info mate, I've just changed the channel on the router and everything seems to be going OK at the moment so fingers crossed that was all it was. I'll try again at peak time and see if the issue is resolved. If it's all good I'll come back here and mark the issue as resolved.

@Roman If you haven't tried already, try changing the channel of your router. Shane provided the instructions here https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

Roman
Level 2

None of this helped my cause. Everything is set up properly already.

Will

Hi @Roman,

For us to get a better idea on how we can assist you with the high ping you're getting when you play online games, can you provide us the following:

1. Brand and model of the modem you're using.
  2. The connection that you use when online gaming (ethernet or WIFI).
  3. Were you able to test both connections?
  4. Screenshots of the ping results
  5. Please perform a traceroute pointing to the game server address.

Regards,