TPG Community

Get online support

[FTTB] latency connecting oversea servers

DK20191111
Level 3

Hi There,

just wondering if there any issue for connecting overseas

i'm having latency issue since sunday, i'm playing a online game which server located in singapore,

it takes0.3s to 0.5s for every action

3 REPLIES 3
KarlB

Hi

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the latency you're experiencing during online gaming.

The vast majority of gaming servers are hosted overseas, typically in America or Asia. Since gaming is highly dependent upon low latency (or low pings), the extreme distances between Australia and most gaming servers means that maintaining low pings can be difficult.

Once this happens, any latency experienced is not something that TPG can pursue or address, as any such network fault or congestion does not lie within our network.

To make sure your gaming is running as efficiently as possible, ensure:

* No other Internet users are using your connection whilst you're gaming.

* No computers, smart phones, smart-TVs, consoles and other Internet-aware appliances are using the connection.

They may be downloading updates, TV schedules, or any variety of content that would negatively affect your gaming.

* Try to have your gaming PC or console connected via Ethernet to your router. Wireless is prone to interference and other factors which can influence ping times.

The Internet is a very complex network, and we do have network issues at times that might mean latency is increased; to see if there are currently any issues on our own local network, please perform the following tests.

* Open a command prompt or terminal window, and type:

ping 203.12.160.35

This will ping our DNS servers, returning a result that should be quite low (the response will be the "time" it takes for the ping to travel to and return from our DNS servers, in milliseconds). Please let us know what your result is.

Regards,

Karl

DK20191111
Level 3

Hi KarlB, 

Thanks and sorry for the late reply,

it is using wifi connection, the latency was become better after the post, but then worsen again in recent days

here is the result:

Pinging 203.12.160.35 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.12.160.35: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=228
Reply from 203.12.160.35: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=228
Reply from 203.12.160.35: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=228
Reply from 203.12.160.35: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=228

Ping statistics for 203.12.160.35:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 26ms

I have also tested to play in my working place's wifi (after work hours)

it is fine, not feeling any latency

(the game server also showing my connection status (green/orange/red)

when i connecting with the work wifi, it is green/orange

but when i connected with my home wifi it is always red)

DK20191111
Level 3

hi mate,

any update? thanks