TPG Community

Get online support

FTTN random disconnection every day

SOLVED Go to solution
Dreytac
Level 2

I'm experiencing random disconnections almost every day between 5pm and 8pm. Disconnection isn't the right word... Everything just stops responding for a few minutes. I still have a connection, the router states I am connected but I can't get a response from anything. Most of the time software doesn't even notice that it's disconnected because it's only for a minute or two but it's enough to get kicked from game servers. Discord won't notice unless I try to send a message.

I'm fairly proficient with networking and servers in general so I've tried all the usual troubleshooting tips. Restarting the modem, restarting the computer, changing DNS servers (I thought maybe Cloudflare's DNS was having trouble so I change back to TPG's temporarily but it didn't change anything). I'm on FTTN and near the end of the line. FTTP is meant to be available in my area and some neighbours have upgraded but TPG says they can't do the upgrade yet so I'm wondering if that might be interferring with my connection. The problems started around the end of January but as it was only for a minute or two I didn't really notice. Now that I'm on a server around 5pm to 8pm each night, I'm noticing it all the time.

Unfortunately I don't have another router to test before contacting TPG so I'm wondering if anyone else might have some insight into something I missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dreytac
Level 2

Seems it was a faulty modem causing my issue. Replaced the modem (thanks TPG!) and haven't had the problem since.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @Dreytac ,

Let us help check what causing dropouts with the service and get to the bottom of this. Could you shoot us a PM with your details?

How to send a PM?

At this stage, we do not have information about the ETA on when the FTTP upgrade will commence, but you should receive an email or SMS from us as soon as it becomes available

Regards, 

Dreytac
Level 2

@Shane: Sent a PM as requested.

Some more information for anyone else (requested via PM from another user).

The router in question is a TP-Link VR1600v. All lights on the router are on and green as per usual. They do not change when I have this problem.

As for line stats:

• Rates: 12313kbps up, 43521kbps down
  • SNR: 5.8dB up, 6.3dB down
  • Attenuation: 42.5dB up, 19.6dB down
  • Errors: 0pkts up, 10pkts down

This is after being "connected" for 6 days, 9 hours.

Both SRA and ROC/SOS are enabled on the DSL connection. Changing either of these results in no change.

I have the router set to send logs to my network syslog server and in the last 6 days there is nothing in there besides DHCP messages for my network and VoIP registrations to TPG.

Dreytac
Level 2

Seems it was a faulty modem causing my issue. Replaced the modem (thanks TPG!) and haven't had the problem since.

BasilDV

We are glad that this has been sorted.

Have a good week!

BasilDV