TPG Community

Get online support

FTTP Huawei Modem and Orbi Wifi Router connectivity issues

davot777
Level 2

Has anyone else had experience with the FTTP Huawei Modem HG659 and Orbi Wifi Router (RBS850) connectivity issues?

Intertemittently the orbi router starts switching between "waiting" and "ERROR: Not Connected" to the Internet and lights up magenta. The Huawei modem appears to be working.

The Orbi is in AP modem, as recommended by NetGear, but the issue occurs between days and weeks apart with no apparent reason. I have to power cycle all of the kit, FTTP modem and Orbi, to get it working again.

I'd prefer to bypass the Huawei all together but I don't believe I can do that with the FTTP modem as it still uses a phone socket and doesn't have an Ethernet hand-off.

Interested to hear.

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @davot777 ,

Let us help you understand what is causing connection issues between the modem and the router extension. Could you post the settings of both the Orbi and HG659 routers to this thread?

Regards,

david64
Level 15

Hi @davot777 . If the HG659 plugs into telephone wall socket, you have FTTB or FTTN.

Is there any other box apart from HG659 and Orbi?

Do you use the VOIP phone part of your NBN plan? If so, the HG659 has to be the main router in the connection. The Orbi can only be an access point.

If you don't use the VOIP phone, the HG659 can be put into bridge mode and the Orbi will be a normal wifi router.

davot777
Level 2

Re: 

Is there any other box apart from HG659 and Orbi? - there's an apple time capsule but that is no longer used.

Do you use the VOIP phone part of your NBN plan? No. If so, the HG659 has to be the main router in the connection. The Orbi can only be an access point. It is set up as an AP.

If you don't use the VOIP phone, the HG659 can be put into bridge mode and the Orbi will be a normal wifi router. What are the implications of this for DHCP etc?

davot777
Level 2

Hi, Not sure what you need in terms of settings. Can you be more specific? The modem/router is configured by TPG as recommended. It is the DHCP source.

The orbi is configured in access point (AP) mode and is primarily a Wifi Router.

david64
Level 15

@davot777 . If you decide to use the HG659 in bridge mode, read this thread.

Start with my post at ‎28-01-2022 10:10 PM

Read further for some comments from that user.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-set-up-Home-Mesh-between-Huawei-HG659-and-...