TPG Community

Get online support

FttN VDSL sync unstable when syn'ced above 100mbps

SOLVED Go to solution
TranceZiggy
Level 2

Hi TPG,

I recently switched over to TPG from Telstra and when my TPG service got connected, it was very unstable.

TPG had a look and then escalated it to NBNco, who told us there was nothing wrong.

TPG closed the case because my service had been up for 17hours, but this was only because my service was put into a stability profile (maintenance mode) when I first reported the issue.

After alot of testing, I found that my service would be unstable if my modem sync'ed above 100mbps (I can achieve 114mbps).

Broadcom chips sync at about 114mbps, causing instability. I tested this on two seperate modem/routers, including the TP-Link VR1600 provided by TPG and my own VR2800 which was running perfect on Telstra before switching to TPG.

Mediatek chips keep stable sync, but only because they sync at 88mbps. This was tested with an ASUS DSL-AC68U.

Finally, TriDuctor chips are also stable because it syncs at 99mbps. This was tested (and is my current modem/router) on a D-Link DSL-2888a.

So, it seems that on TPG, if I am close the node on FTTN, Broadcom chips sync over the maximum 100mbps and become unstable. Other chips as noted above, sync below 100mbps and remain stable.

This isn't a massive issue right now, as I'm happy running the 2888a at 99mbps, but what happens when that dies? I have two Broadcom options that will get me my full 100mbps but at the cost of instability, or I lose 12mbps in sync speed for stability with the Meditek.

With Telstra, all four of my modem/routers synced fine and were 100% stable. TPG not so much. Is TPG aware of this issue and is there a fix?

And before I get asked to do basic troubleshooting, I'm a networking technician, hence why I own multiple network devices. Any and all basic troubleshooting steps have been completed. Reported sync speeds were taken from the modem/router's webUI DSL stats pages.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TranceZiggy
Level 2

Hi TPG,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to answer any calls after I reported the issue.

However, I've since retested all of my modems and they all appear to be stable now - the TP-Link vr2800 (which was the most unstable initially) has been stable for 5 days now @ 102mbps/39mbps Down/Up

I'm not sure what went on in the first few weeks of my TPG service, but it appears to have been resolved.

As an FYI, when you checked my service and reported that the TP-Link vr1600 was connected - this was incorrect. At the time, a D-Link DSL-2888a was connected.

Either way, thank you for your help - if your engineer team made any changes to my service, it appears to have fixed the instability issues.

Cheers,

TranceZiggy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @TranceZiggy

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We'd love to help see what causing dropouts when modem/router's sync reached higher than 100Mbps. To better understand the situation, PM us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

TranceZiggy
Level 2

Thanks Shane.

I've PM'ed you with the requested details.

Ahra_G

Thanks for passing on the details, @TranceZiggy.

I did run remote tests and it appears that the equipment you're using at present is our TP Link VR1600 which runs on a Broadcom chipset. 

Furthermore, we sent you an email regarding the line speed containing the information below:

Maximum speed your address can receive = 92Mbps
Maximum speed of the NBN100 plan you have chosen = 100Mbps

Not all modem routers are created equal. Some offer better Internet connection speeds and drop out less than others, while others can potentially lock your port altogether leaving you without an Internet connection for up to 48 hours. This is particularly true with NBN’s fibre to the node (FTTN) and fibre to the basement (FTTB) where connection speeds can vary by a much wider margin than with ADSL, depending on the modem you have connected. MediaTek chips can also be considered since the typical evening speed you can get is 78.2Mbps, but of course our goal is to achieve the maximum line speed. 

We appreciate that you have done comparison testings with the equipment you have available however, I may need to further raise this issue to our Engineering team. I did notice evident drops on the connection today and we need to determine the underlying cause;  whether it is an equipment-related issue or with the line itself. 

We'll be in touch as soon as an update becomes available. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

Ahra_G

Hi @TranceZiggy

One of our Engineers has been trying to reach you to confirm the status of your service. They have sent you an email in which you can also reply directly. 

Let us know should you require further assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

TranceZiggy
Level 2

Hi TPG,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to answer any calls after I reported the issue.

However, I've since retested all of my modems and they all appear to be stable now - the TP-Link vr2800 (which was the most unstable initially) has been stable for 5 days now @ 102mbps/39mbps Down/Up

I'm not sure what went on in the first few weeks of my TPG service, but it appears to have been resolved.

As an FYI, when you checked my service and reported that the TP-Link vr1600 was connected - this was incorrect. At the time, a D-Link DSL-2888a was connected.

Either way, thank you for your help - if your engineer team made any changes to my service, it appears to have fixed the instability issues.

Cheers,

TranceZiggy

Shane

Hi @TranceZiggy,

We're glad to know that the issue has been fixed. It seems that the restart did the trick. In case you will experience any technical problem in the future do not hesitate to create a thread here in our community.

Cheers!