TPG Community

Get online support

High Ping/Latency between 7pm and 10pm

scottbateup1
Level 2

I have just had TPG FTTC NBN50 installed. Everything is working fine outside of 7pm and 10pm everynight. 

Usually throughout the day my speed tests and ping tests return about 

Ping 7ms 

Download 47Mbps

Upload 19Mbps

between 7pm and 10pm

Ping 100 - 250ms

Download 5 - 40Mbps

Upload 15 - 19Mbps

I have tried in CMD prompt 

ping 203.12.160.35

ping 192.168.1.1 -n 1000

ping tpg.com.au -n 1000

tracert tpg.com.au

All these test a returned results that show there is a problem with the TPG service during these hours (7pm - 10PM). Please have someone from your tech department contact me to fix this issue.

Thanks

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Unofficially, I think you're suffering from the "typical evening speed" syndrome of NBN. Between 7 and 10 pm, your upload speed is still fairly good. Download speed is affected by other people's activity. I don't know just how wide a variation is normal.

Your speed tests shoud be done with TPG's test on their home page. Using other servers introduces variables from other networks. Be interested to see your results with TPG's speed test.

Ping 192.168.1.1 is just your router and responds in about 1ms.

The tracert can be done at different times during the day to check delays to TPG and your favourite websites.

scottbateup1
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

Unofficially, I think you're suffering from the "typical evening speed" syndrome of NBN. Between 7 and 10 pm, your upload speed is still fairly good. Download speed is affected by other people's activity. I don't know just how wide a variation is normal.

Your speed tests shoud be done with TPG's test on their home page. Using other servers introduces variables from other networks. Be interested to see your results with TPG's speed test.

Ping 192.168.1.1 is just your router and responds in about 1ms.

The tracert can be done at different times during the day to check delays to TPG and your favourite websites.

Hey David,

I actually spoke to someone from TPG last night and they have escalated my case so hopefully they can offer a solution. I ran a bunch of Pings and Tracert for them and the results were terrible. The D/L and U/L speeds did not worry me as much as the ridiculous Ping, as I mainly play online games and most will not even find a game for me at that Ping. 

The service in my area is only new so fingers crossed they are still ironing out the faults.

Cheers

Scott

Shane

HI All,

There are different cause of Transfer/Speed Issue that you may experience.

1. Sync Speed Issue, this speed issue is caused by a line fault on TPG (If you're with ADSL2+ or TPG-FTTB) or NBN's network (If you're with NBN service). Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless Transfer Rate Issue, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Speed/Transfer Issues, this issue is caused by possible loose modem/router connection setup. This can be fixed by re-seating Ethernet cable if the device(s) is connected via LAN, re-seating the modem/router to the wall socket or changing the phone cable used from modem/router to the socket.

Note: You will need to test multiple speed test when you change Ethernet,Phone Cable to identify the caused of speed issue.

4. Speed Degradation caused by ongoing outage in your area.

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection we did an article that you may find helpful see links below.

We have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage.

Cheersr! 

whnxgf1994
Level 2

I'm telling you, TPG is a trash ISP. If you want to play games then just choose Telstra, you can play Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and Korean just as you want to. TPG only designed for local people.