TPG Community

Get online support

High-Speed NBN BYO Modem Requirements

SOLVED Go to solution
Shane

Our NBN Home Superfast & NBN Home Ultrafast plans are currently supplied on a “BYO modem” basis for new customers, which means that you’ll need to supply your own modem.

Most modems in use today are technically capable of supporting speeds of approximately:

• Up to 300Mbps over WiFi
  • Up to 600Mbps over Ethernet

Of course, actual speeds achieved will vary due to several factors such as technology type, modem capability, plan choice and internet traffic demand.

A newer, high-end modem may achieve faster speeds. Mesh networking solutions, where several devices broadcast WiFi throughout premises, are recommended for NBN Home Ultrafast services.

The modem must support or feature:

• PPPoE connection types
  • Gigabit Ethernet ports
  • AC WiFi or WiFi 6 (for WiFi connections)

Modems that do not support PPPoE cannot connect to our NBN services. If you choose to use an older modem that does not feature Gigabit Ethernet ports or AC WiFi/WiFi 6, your connection may be slower, according to the constraints of your older hardware. We recommend using devices connected via Ethernet cable instead of WiFi to get the best possible experience.

Compatible modems

Our team has tested the following modems. Those with a tick are recommended for optimal use on our NBN Home Superfast or NBN Home Ultrafast plans. There may be additional models on the market that we have not yet tested. If your modem is not listed here, please contact the manufacturer for more information. Note that all modems listed below (including those not recommended for optimal use on NBN Home Ultrafast) with the exception of Huawei HG658 can achieve the estimated Typical Evening Speed~ of the NBN Home Superfast and NBN Home Ultrafast plans.

Key/Legend

Symbol Definition
Maximum speeds are supported via Ethernet & WiFi.
Maximum speeds are not supported.
⚠️ Maximum speeds are supported via Ethernet. Maximum speeds are not supported via WiFi.

Modem NBN Home Superfast NBN Home Ultrafast^
TG-789 Broadband Gateway ⚠️
Fritz!Box 7490 ⚠️
D-Link DIR-2150
D-Link DIR-X1560
D-Link DIR-X1860
TP-Link Deco M5
TP-Link Deco M9
D-Link DIR-X5460
TP-Link Deco X60
TP-Link VR1600v (this modem may be purchased from us) ⚠️
TP-Link C1200 ⚠️
TP-Link VX420-G2H
TP-Link VX420-G2V
Netcomm NF7 ⚠️ ⚠️
Netcomm NF12 ⚠️ ⚠️
Huawei HG658
Huawei HG659 ⚠️

^While the NBN Home Ultrafast Plan has a maximum theoretical off-peak download speed of 500Mbps on NBN HFC and 990Mbps on NBN FTTP, you will typically experience significantly slower speeds than this due to a range of factors, regardless of which modem you use. You should refer to the Typical Evening Speed as a more accurate estimate of likely experience.

~Typical Evening Speeds are subject to change and are measured 7pm-11pm. Speeds are not guaranteed and may vary. The NBN Home Superfast and NBN Home Ultrafast Plans are new plans, and therefore the TES stated here is currently based on an estimate. TPG will revise the TES once it has collected enough data on the speed performance of these plans.

Original Post: https://www.tpg.com.au/content/high-speed-nbn-modem-requirements

Modem/Router support for NBN FTTP & HFC:

Helpful TPG Community articles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sheeper0601
Level 2

Hi,

I just upgraded my plan to ultrafast plan and also purchase one of the suggested router in the list D-link x5460. Unfortunately I am not able to make it work and surprisingly find out people with this model have been reporting connection issues. There seems to be no solution yet. I strongly suggest TPG remove this model from the list. Otherwise it not only wastes our time and money to return the router and get a different machine and also wastes your time to repeatedly answer our questions for a knownly issue.

Please recommend a modem or router which really works. Thanks

‐-----------------------------------------------------------

Update on 05/09/2021

For anyone who is still struggling with connection issues,

I update the firmware to v1.1 then disable VLan. It is working fine now 👍

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
gavingroom
Level 3

Is VLAN tagging required on FTTP connections, as it is on HFC etc?

Shane

Hi @gavingroom,

For High Speed NBN VLAN tagging is no longer required.

Regards,

Is VLAN tagging required on FTTP connections, as it is on HFC etc?

gavingroom
Level 3
Thanks Shane, appreciate you clarifying.
gavingroom
Level 3

Hi @Shane 

This raises one more question actually: Is VLAN tagging therefore still required on the standard NBN plans? i.e. 12/25/50/100Mbps? I'm speaking specifically about FTTP connections.

Shane

Hi @gavingroom,

For Standard or Old NBN plans that originally comes with VoIP service, VLAN ID 2 is still required to setup the internet connection, but I believe that using a 3rd party router on NBN-FTTP will not require you to setup a VLAN ID you simply need to input or setup TPG username and password to establish a connection.

Note: NBN VoIP will only work using our supplied modem/router.

Regards,

Hi @Shane 

This raises one more question actually: Is VLAN tagging therefore still required on the standard NBN plans? i.e. 12/25/50/100Mbps? I'm speaking specifically about FTTP connections.

higherfasterstr
Level 2

Hi there, thanks for the list of compatible modems - really helpful.

I have a old Huawei HG659 that was supplied by TPG for an NBN FTTB installation for username 1 at address A. According to the list above it is compatible with TPG NBN Superfast.

If I want to use it for a TPG NBN50 FTTC connection at address B with username 2, will the existing pre-configuration settings from address A interfere with the new intended connection at address B? Is there anything I need to do to the HG659 modem such as a hard reset?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Hi @higherfasterstr,

Welcome to the community!

If you are using the old Huawei HG659 from previous TPG account. You have to reconfigure or re-enter the new TPG credential to the modem/router to work on the new address. 

Check the article below, this will guide you on how to reconfigure the modem. 

Huawei HG 659 Settings

Regards,

Hi there, thanks for the list of compatible modems - really helpful.

I have a old Huawei HG659 that was supplied by TPG for an NBN FTTB installation for username 1 at address A. According to the list above it is compatible with TPG NBN Superfast.

If I want to use it for a TPG NBN50 FTTC connection at address B with username 2, will the existing pre-configuration settings from address A interfere with the new intended connection at address B? Is there anything I need to do to the HG659 modem such as a hard reset?

Thanks in advance.

higherfasterstr
Level 2

Thank you @Shane for your prompt reply!

Howie49
Level 2
Hi, my NBN speeds have been woeful over the last year and the 6 months of the higher plan It still did not improve. I upgraded to the Superfast plan on FTTP and purchased a TP-Link Deco X60 a few days ago.
Before the install of my Deco my download was 23Mbs / 12Mbs and honestly this was a reasonable speed over the last year with numerous dropouts.
I installed the Deco X60 with the Deco app in about 15 minutes. A real breeze to install.
My speeds now are 275Mbs / 16Mbs unbelievable. I was thinking of leaving TPG but after seeing these speeds I will stay.
Regards Howard