High ping issues

chriswalker06
Level 2
Hi, recently I received a new 5G modem and nbn100 package. Everything seems to be fine in regards to the speed and consistency but I've noticed that I seem to be getting abnormally high ping levels, most noticeable when gaming. Connections to close by servers are giving me around 80 - 200ms. Tested using CMD and on multiple game servers, devices, speed test servers, both with wireless and wired connections, I have also tried resetting my modem multiple times. Before the upgrade my ping was significantly lower, with more local servers giving me <20ms. Ping on my 4G mobile is about 1/3 of what I currently get with my modem. It doesn't seem to be an issue of congestion. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi chriswalker06,

We'd like to clarify if you 5G home broadband or NBN connection? To better understand the situation please send me a Private Message with your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

How to send a PM? - https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093.

Regards,

Hi, recently I received a new 5G modem and nbn100 package. Everything seems to be fine in regards to the speed and consistency but I've noticed that I seem to be getting abnormally high ping levels, most noticeable when gaming. Connections to close by servers are giving me around 80 - 200ms. Tested using CMD and on multiple game servers, devices, speed test servers, both with wireless and wired connections, I have also tried resetting my modem multiple times. Before the upgrade my ping was significantly lower, with more local servers giving me <20ms. Ping on my 4G mobile is about 1/3 of what I currently get with my modem. It doesn't seem to be an issue of congestion. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

david64
Level 15

Hi @chriswalker06 . If you have the 5G home wireless broadband, see this note on latency.

https://www.tpg.com.au/5g-home-broadband

Latency and gaming

5G is great for most online applications (including casual gaming), but if you require ultra-low latency where every millisecond matters (for example, professional gaming), 5G Home Broadband may not be the right fit for you.