High ping

ScarnOnCobba
Level 2
I have been having the same problem since November with COD MW2 , was oddly the day I brought an Xbox series X this started. When I am searching for a match my ping will go from 30-34 to 190-200. But I can play shipment 24/7 and also get on Warzone and play plunder fine. But any other game mode like ground war, invasion, infected etc it will jump to 200 ping after about a minute or so. The only other devices on the network are 2 phones and a tv and the xbox is not even 3 metres from the router. Absolutely driving me insane. So if anyone could point me in the right direction of help that would be awesome.

Thankyou.
3 REPLIES 3
david64
Master

Hi @ScarnOnCobba . Before you bought the Xbox, what device were you using to play COD MW2?

Did it perform ok?

Or, did you get the Xbox specially to play COD?

Now, do you use the Xbox to play COD, or the previous device?

Is the previous COD device still available? What happens if you use it to play COD?

With the Xbox turned on and connected, or if the Xbox is turned off.

Do you know the hostname or ip address of game server?

What type of connection do you have and what speed?

What model wifi router do you have? Does it have a traffic monitor? You can use it to see if there is increase in traffic when you get high ping.

ScarnOnCobba
Level 2
I was using the original xbox one and it was fine and I never had a problem at all. I've been playing COD for years and never have I had this problem. I haven't tried to play it on my xbox one since upgrading to the Series X. I might set it up and see if it is fine.

I'm useless with the rest, we're on the NBN50 plan.
Our router is the one TPG supplied it is a TP link, model -VX220-G2v
david64
Master

@ScarnOnCobba . Are the Xboxes ethernet or wifi?

If wifi, test each one next to router. Turn off the one you are not testing.

If the Xbox1 still works ok but XboxX does not, there is something different between the two.

With the wifi on your VX220, can you see 2 wifi bands, the 2.4 GHz one and the 5 GHz one? 

If you look on your phones, tablets, Xboxes and all only show one, your VX220 might be using Band Steering.

On the label on the VX220, does it show 2 wifi names? Attach a picture if unsure.